Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

"S" or not "S" One for the pundits.

I have a 2003 Carrera 2 Tiptronic. I am not sure if it is and "S" . There is no "S" on the rear, it just says Carrera.

Now in the generic Carrera handbook there are two descriptions for the 2 wheel drive Carrera. It is either a Carrera or a Carrera Tiptronic S.

In terms of engine output there are two ratings in the handbook for the Carrera:

Engine type M96/03 (320Hp)

Engine type M96/03S (345Hp) High power version

The engine number of the vehicle is: M96/03AT 66566759 (I assume the AT refers to the transmission type?)

The vehicle's VIN is : WPOZZZ99Z 3S607135 (Is the "S" the giveaway here?)

Is it the case that all Tipronic models are called: Carrera Tiptronic "S" as they are fitted with the higher power engine?

and that all manual models are either:

Carrera or Carrera S depending on whether they are fitted with either the 320Hp engine or the 345Hp engine?

Edited by Hilux2400

Thanks for the swift reply. I have looked at the VIN decoder, but confirmation is useful.

What about the "AT" in the engine number. I see from a similar current thread that this could refer to: "AT is short for Austausch". Does this mean that my engine has had a factory rebuild at some time?

Regards

H

• Admin

The 665 prefix in your engine number is signifies a MY2005 engine (- your original engine would have has a 663 prefix).

Since your car is a MY2003 it would appear that the engine was replaced in 2005 (or early 2006) with a factory new or rebuilt.

I think that is likely a good thing.

• Upvote 1

The 665 prefix in your engine number is signifies a MY2005 engine (- your original engine would have has a 663 prefix).

Since your car is a MY2003 it would appear that the engine was replaced in 2005 (or early 2006) with a factory new or rebuilt.

I think that is likely a good thing.

Well, I contacted Posrche UK who tell me that the original engine in my car had the number M96/03 663***** which as you say, from the 663 prefix, is consistent with an engine fitted in 2003. Therefore, my 2003 car had a different engine fitted sometime in late 2005/early 2006 with the Number M96/03 AT 665*****.

Porsche would not confirm this fact in writing without receiving a fee of £65 claiming that it would be a legal document.

What I found really interesting is Porsche UK had no idea what the "AT" stands for, allegedly claiming its presence as a complete mystery. Now we know that "AT stands for:Austausche, which means exchange in German. I have asked Porsche UK to seek information from a higher authority in Germany. However, I am unlikely to receive a letter unless I pay for it.

I am pleased that I have discovered the engine change and I am hopeful of receiving confirmation of the fact from Porsche. It's still a great car, made even better with a newer engine.

Edited by Hilux2400