Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

W. Pump, DIY incomplete

I find the water pump DIY a little weak, I think I can deal with the confusing bit about bolts and nuts on the engine carrier, although it's a bit of a hash. I assume we all change the a tensioners and rollers, no note about that. I'm especially looking for torque specs for pump, the carrier nuts and bolts, tensioners, rollers. The only torque spec given is the drain plug. I was going to buy the Bentley manual until I read a review where it was noted they cover the WP replacement with the engine out, which is almost useless. Any help would be appreciated. I'm still looking for a good website for basic repairs on this car, with the 944 I had a great one that covered everything, this and the P-car site seem less complete. Am i missing something? Thank you again in advance. Bill

• Moderators

I find the water pump DIY a little weak, I think I can deal with the confusing bit about bolts and nuts on the engine carrier, although it's a bit of a hash. I assume we all change the a tensioners and rollers, no note about that. I'm especially looking for torque specs for pump, the carrier nuts and bolts, tensioners, rollers. The only torque spec given is the drain plug. I was going to buy the Bentley manual until I read a review where it was noted they cover the WP replacement with the engine out, which is almost useless. Any help would be appreciated. I'm still looking for a good website for basic repairs on this car, with the 944 I had a great one that covered everything, this and the P-car site seem less complete. Am i missing something? Thank you again in advance. Bill

If you run a search, you will probably find more data on the subject than you really wanted; this is a common DIY project.

• Upvote 1

Bill, the 944 has been around twice as long as the 996 and with its relative simplicity, good manners, and, absence of modern electronics, it is understandably a favorite for DIY'rs who have had lots of time to document and share every permutation of the car. Not so fortunate for the modern Porsches with their complex mechanicals and electronics. But what I have found in this forum is a bunch of knowledgeable enthusiasts who have been at the ready to help and guide you with almost instantaneous information and answers. If you have not already stumbled across this thread, here is my own experience and note the timelines. Post #74 may also be of particular interest to your w/p project.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/43715-clutch-aos-water-pump-thermostat-diy-questions/

Good luck,

Cheers....

Thank you guys for the help. I think the Bentley video answers my questions about moving things around to get at the pump. I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I cannot figure out how to run effective searches. For example I'm trying to get a simple look at the procedure and torque values for replacing the three rollers that go with the drive belt. I assume the search box on top right is the only way to run a search. I'll order the Bentley manual, probably all I'll need for the stuff I'm willing to do. BTW, Loren your DIY on the third radiator was excellent, just the kind of step by step that somebody like me really appreciates. That job went very well and it should be noted that removing the nose to clean should be a standard maintenance procedure, it was a real mess in there. (I drive 2200 miles a month, in CA heat, clean radiators and a third is a good idea) I found that gutter screens form the local box store worked very well as screens to protect the radiators and saved the 250$ from the renline screens. (the renline website has nice pictures of exactly where to put the screws) Loren and JFP, I really appreciate all the effort you guys do to keep this site so informative. Bill