Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tiptronic emergency run mode and ignition switch

So yesterday, I'm driving along the highway, and suddenly get a Tiptronic Emergency Run message on my dash. I pull over, turn off the car, but can't get my key out of the ignition - after much jiggling it comes out. I restart the car and the fault message is gone and transmission returns to normal mode but left headlight is out.

I got home, replaced ignition switch and headlight works fine and key comes in and out fine.
I plugged in the durametric and got these codes:
13 RPM Sensor N3
51 Transmission Slips or gear implausible
I cleared the codes, reset adaptation, and went to sleep.
This morning I drove into work, no error message, transmission is fine.
Are the ignition switch and error msg related? Could it have played havoc with electrical signals? Oh BTW I had the dealer replace transmission fluid and differential fluid 6,000 miles ago.

• Moderators

The ignition switch electrical section failure can cause no end of weird problems, ranging from odd MIL lights, to DME codes, and to entire car systems that cease to function and then suddenly come back to life. Fortunately, the fix is cheap (the electrical section of the switch retails for less than $20) and an easy DIY project that has been the subject of multiple write ups both here and on other sites.

Thanks, but here's an update:

So, I changed the ignition switch, reset adaptation, cleared codes, and all was fine for 2 days.

Then I get this today:
DME: P0715 Porsche fault code 552 Tiptronic supply voltage speed sensors
Tiptronic: 13 RPM Sensor N3
and of course the "emergency run mode". any ideas?

• Moderators

Thanks, but here's an update:

So, I changed the ignition switch, reset adaptation, cleared codes, and all was fine for 2 days.

Then I get this today:
DME: P0715 Porsche fault code 552 Tiptronic supply voltage speed sensors
Tiptronic: 13 RPM Sensor N3
and of course the "emergency run mode". any ideas?

OK, the P0175 is often a code often caused by something as simple as the fluid level being a little too low; are you sure the fluid level is correct? If the fluid level is correct, the speed sensor in question is mounted to a conductor plate on the top of the valve body in the transmission:

243924d1245012334t-atf-transmission-control-module-99-e-valve_body_2.jpg

OK, the P0175 is often a code often caused by something as simple as the fluid level being a little too low; are you sure the fluid level is correct? If the fluid level is correct, the speed sensor in question is mounted to a conductor plate on the top of the valve body in the transmission:

Thanks....

Hi JFP, the thing is that the dealer replaced transmission and differential fluid in January using their highly precise method for doing so....by the book so as to speak, and I have tile flooring in my garage and would have seen leaks....so I'm thinking the valve body may be shot - hopefully it doesn't mean a full rebuild or reman unit :-

• Moderators

Thanks....

Hi JFP, the thing is that the dealer replaced transmission and differential fluid in January using their highly precise method for doing so....by the book so as to speak, and I have tile flooring in my garage and would have seen leaks....so I'm thinking the valve body may be shot - hopefully it doesn't mean a full rebuild or reman unit :-

I would still check the fluid level first, it would not be the first time I've seen a car right out of the dealer's that was low on fluid. Checking is a bit convoluted due to where the transmission is, but can still be done as a DIY; do a search in the archives for servicing the Tiptronic, it has been written up more than once.

The speed sensor itself may be the only thing that needs changing, but unfortunately that entails removing the valve body to get at it. Not hard, but not fun either.

Thanks....

I would still check the fluid level first, it would not be the first time I've seen a car right out of the dealer's that was low on fluid. Checking is a bit convoluted due to where the transmission is, but can still be done as a DIY; do a search in the archives for servicing the Tiptronic, it has been written up more than once.

The speed sensor itself may be the only thing that needs changing, but unfortunately that entails removing the valve body to get at it. Not hard, but not fun either.

JFP: dealer called back. The fluid is ok, it appears to be speed sensor which is in the valve body or the TCU or both. They said valve body is a $2500 or so part.

Now the problem is that I don't think they can just change the speed sensor - appears they'd replace the whole valve body.

If I were to just replace speed sensor n3, where can I buy such a part and how much would it cost?

If i were to have to replace entire valve body do you know where I can buy it and cost?

Thanks

Edited by roadsession

• Moderators

Thanks....

JFP: dealer called back. The fluid is ok, it appears to be speed sensor which is in the valve body or the TCU or both. They said valve body is a $2500 or so part.

Now the problem is that I don't think they can just change the speed sensor - appears they'd replace the whole valve body.

If I were to just replace speed sensor n3, where can I buy such a part and how much would it cost?

If i were to have to replace entire valve body do you know where I can buy it and cost?

Thanks

Both items are Porsche parts, suggest contacting Sunset Porsche in Beaverton, OR (503.641.8600) for pricing. VW and Mercedes also use the same parts as well.

Thanks....

Thanks

Both items are Porsche parts, suggest contacting Sunset Porsche in Beaverton, OR (503.641.8600) for pricing. VW and Mercedes also use the same parts as well.

ok - called Sunset Porsche, they are saying that the valve body can be ordered, but that there are other parts like solenoids that can be ordered separately - he couldn't find an item called a speed sensor or rpm sensor on the transmission. Do you by any chance have an idea what the part number for just the speed sensors could be, or am I better off just buying the valve body?

thanks

• Moderators

Thanks....

Thanks

ok - called Sunset Porsche, they are saying that the valve body can be ordered, but that there are other parts like solenoids that can be ordered separately - he couldn't find an item called a speed sensor or rpm sensor on the transmission. Do you by any chance have an idea what the part number for just the speed sensors could be, or am I better off just buying the valve body?

thanks

No, I don't have the part numbers at hand, but I did do some research and found this:

P0715 Speed comparison n2 with n3 implausiblePossible cause of fault- Short circuit to B+/ground/between wires or open circuit- Speed sensor n2 or n3 faulty- Tiptronic control unit faultyNote: The speed sensors are housed in the electrical part of the hydraulic control unit. If a speed sensor is faulty, the complete electrical part of the hydraulic control unit must be replaced.

So it looks like the entire electrical section, often called the conductor plate, has to be changed out as the sensors are not available by themselves anymore. This device sits on top of the valve body, but is separate from it. You may want to now go back to Sunset and ask about the electrical section and see if that comes by itself or if you need to buy it with the valve body.

• 2 years later...

Just wanted to add to this. This solved my issue as well. It may have just been low on fluid, but as I had already purchased the part for ~$180 on Amazon, I just had the shop replace it and flush the tranny and problem solved! 2001 996TT with Tiptronic

Edited by Jeremy Wight