Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

basic 996 questions

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I am at work for 36 hours and the 996 is at home drying out. So I figured I would wask a few questions I could probably answer if I had a manual. I ordered it on ebay, just waiting for results.

1 - does a 1999 996 c4 cabrio have daytime running lights? If so mine does not.

2 - are the headlights automatic? I enjoy turing them on and off, but even my 1998 and 2001 alero had auto lights

3 - seatbelt warning light. Until yesterday never saw the seatbelt warning light. It does not come on when I start the car. the rest of the dummy lights come on. Yesterday when I unbuckled the seat belt with the car running the light came on and beeped. I saw where the light was and it worked. Next time I tried to get it to come on it did not. Do I care?

4 - passenger heated seates work about every 4th time I drive the car. Never get flashing light that I read about during the search. It either works or it does not. Wife said its ok since she only rides every 3rd or 4th trip anyway. Driver side always works.

5 - Odometer stays on after I remove the key from ignition. Radio sometimes stays on after ignition switched off and key removed. I have to use they key to lock the car. When I lock it the odometer and radio usually go off, but one occasionally the radio stays on after I lock the car.

6 - Remote works about as well as the passenger seat heater. Going to get that replaced eventually (already searched and found answers) but I actually like using a key. Just a bummer no passenger side lock. To be a gentleman and open the door for wife, the sequence usually goes as follows. We leave a wonderful dinner and walk to the beautiful car. She stands beside her door waiting for me to open it. I push the button on the remote in the hopes that it works. After it does not I have to walk the the driver side, unlock the door, then go to her side and let her in.

• Admin

1. Standard on the Canada version cars only. Several members have done a "hack" to do the same. Please do a search here to find details.

2. Porsche did not have "automatic headlights" in MY99 - those came later. It does have a gong that goes off if you open the door with the headlights still on.

3. The bulb in the instrument cluster is likely burnt out. Please do a search here to find details on replacement.

4. Could be a bad relay or loose connector under the seat. If you check the connectors under the seat make sure the key out of the ignition (just off position will NOT do) - so you do not turn on the airbag light or worse set off the airbag.

5. That is normal dash lights may stay on for up to a minute or so. If they are still on after 5 minutes you likely have an electrical problem.

6. Try a battery first. The least expensive way to fix a worn-out remote is to buy the Design Key (nice aluminum look with Porsche crest) and transfer your old keys immobilizer "pill" to the new key. Then just get the blade cut or if your old blade is not too badly worn re-use it too.

RE #6: Just to be clear, the design key does not come with a new circuit board and is only the plastic shell so i don't think it will help much -- it just looks a heck of a lot nicer. In essence it's a $113 piece of plastic. If it's not the battery, which I would try first as Loren suggested, it's likely this circuit board. I had responded to one of your previous posts telling you how to fix this and pointing you to the thread this is discussed if you want to fix it. It's not very expensive and will save you the embarrassment of your alarm going off occasionally when you open the door with the key.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/911design.html?Category_Code=gtdesignkey

From that page:

NOTE: This keyhead is empty, you must transfer your current key "guts" to this keyhead. This is a shell only, no electronic internals are included.