Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Need Help Converting from PCM1 to CDR220

Mbgt72

(same thread as in the general 996 section)
Objective:
Change from PCM1 in a 2001 996 Turbo to a CDR220 (not a MOST system)
Current Problem:
No Audio playing from CDR 220 once hooked up. Audio Line out Plugs do not have the same harnesses from the PCM1 as the CDR220.
Full story:
Okay guys, I just picked up my first porsche and I've seen the ipad mini install posted a couple other places which is the direction I'm trying to go. My problem is my car came with the PCM1 and I'm trying to swap to a CDR220 but I'm running into some issues getting it working.
I've bought a CDR220 and have a radio code for it. However, it seems the PCM1 uses a different style connector to run the audio to the amplifier than the CDR220 does.
I've got the CDR220 hooked up, it powers on, radio code works, antenna scan locks on stations, but I'm not getting audio. That's because only 2 of the 3 plug harnesses in the back of the CDR220 match over from the PCM1.
I'm wondering if anyone knows of a converter so I can use the wiring harness from the PCM1 to run the CDR220.
I'm including a couple stock photos below of the radio harnesses.
CDR220
Socket A (power/ground/illumination/etc) - Transferred
Socket B DID NOT TRANSFER (this is the audio out where I am stuck)
Socket C1,C2,C3 (transfer fine, this is cd player, aux, etc) - Transferred
Antenna
CDR-220%20pinout%20all%20connections.jpg
PCM1:
Plug A: (power/ground/illumination/etc) - Transferred
Plug B: Nothing Was Connected to PCM In This Slot
Plug C / Socket C: Socket C1,C2,C3 (transfer fine, this is cd player, aux, etc) - Transferred
Antenna - Transferred
Did Not Transfer:
Plug I : Video signal etc
Plug II: Data, voice/mic/etc
pcm1_control.gif
The following info is from renntech.org post link here

Reference: Porsche PCM1 Pinout
Borrowed from: Link Forum http://cuoresportivo.no
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Headunit
Naviunit
Disclaimer: THE PIN OUT CAN BE INCORRECT, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
All information is provided in good faith. Any modification you carry out, you do so at your own risk. No liability is implied or will be accepted. Please ensure that you are qualified to carry out any work detailed on this page and that you take all necessary precautions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Plug A
1 - Speed signal
2 - Free
3 - Free
4 - Terminal 30
5 - Terminal 30 for windscreen antenna
6 - Free
7 - Free
8 - Terminal 31
Plug B
1 - Loudspeaker, rear right +
2 - Loudspeaker, rear right -
3 - Loudspeaker, front right +
4 - Loudspeaker, front right -
5 - Loudspeaker, front left +
6 - Loudspeaker, front left -
7 - Loudspeaker, rear left +
8 - Loudspeaker, rear left -
Note Plug B is assigned only if no amplifier is installed.
Plug C
1 - Lineout, rear left
2 - Line out, rear right
3 - AF ground
4 - Line out, front left
5 - Line out, front right
6 - Terminal 30 for amplifier
7 - Control lead for CD changer
8 - Terminal 30 for CD changer
9 - Free
10 - Data lead
11 - Clock lead
12 - Reset lead
13 - Free
14 - Free
15 - Free
16 - Free
17 - Free
18 - CD AF, ground
19 - CD AF, left
20 - CD AF. right
Note Plug C consists of 3 parts.
Pins 1 to 6: yellow housing.
Pins 7 to 2: green housing.
Pins 13 to 20 : blue housing.
Pins 1 to 6 are the loudspeaker outputs to the amplifier. They are assigned only if an amplifier is installed.
Pins 7 to 12 are the control leads for the CD changer.
Pins 18 to 20 are the loudspeaker outputs of the CD changer.
Pins 7 to 20 are assigned only if a CD changer is installed.
D-Antenna lead
E-Fuse
Plug I
1 - Video signal, red
2 - Video signal, green
3 - Free
4 - Free
5 - Free
6 - Terminal 31
7 - Free
8 - Free
9 - Free
10 - Terminal 30 for navigation
11 - Terminal 58 d
12 - Free
13 - Terminal 30
14 - Video signal, blue
15 - Video signal synchronisation
16 - Video signal ground
17 - Free
18 - Free
19 - Terminal31
20 - To combination plug IIIpin 6
21 - From combination plug IIIpin 11
22 - Free
23 - Fuel consumption signal
24 - Speed signal
25 - Free
26 - Terminal 30
Plug II
1 - Diagnosis lead
2 - Terminal 15
3 - Terminal 86 s
4 - Data lead to navigation unit
5 - Free
6 - DSP (amplifier) ground
7 - Handsfree microphone ground
8 - Handset microphone
9 - Handset speaker
10 - Terminal 30, handset
11 - Free
12 - Voice output ground
13 - Voice output
14 - DSP (amplifier)
15 - Data lead from the heater / AlC unit
16 - Free
17 - Data lead from the navigation unit
18 - Free
19 - Free
20 - Handsfree microphone
21 - Handset ground
22 - Handset on-hook contact
23 - Free
24 - Free
25 - Free
26 - Free
Edited by Mbgt72

• Admin

Please do not double post. Re-read the board Guidelines/Rules...

"Please post your messages in one forum only. Crossposting, double posting, triple posting, etc. are all a waste of time and valuable resources. If you post the same message in multiple times or in multiple forums, we will delete the ones we feel are inappropriate."

Your duplicate post has been removed.

Which amp do you have?

The option should be either M490 or M680.

You will also likely need the antenna booster and cable for the radio (996 647 105 00 Antenna Booster and cable -- US MSRP $96.46)

I'm not entirely sure actually. I'll get in the trunk and try to look a little later today. I just found out today (through reading on this site) that there were two different amplifiers).

I'll get back with ya in a couple of hours hopefully.

So I'm still a bit confused why I'm getting no audio out of the speakers. I called Becker to inquire about the RCA out plug they sell, and then asked them about the swap, and they said they thought it should be a direct plug & play swap.

I also tried the radio in 2002 996 turbo and everything worked fine. So I'm thinking I'm about to go to a aftermarket amp and speaker setup and just leave all this behind. I'd love to be able to get the current setup just plugged in and running though, because then I could wait a month or two to do the full stereo swap.

Correct. I understand that. But I'm just wondering if theres any way to test if the signal isn't going where it should be etc.

I'm just still confused since the yellow (C1) should be sending everything needed to the m680.

The only thing in the lower console was the navigation cd slot holder. And without the cables that plug into the PCM, the navigation cd tray won't power on. And since the wiring shows the dsp is within the m680, I doubt the navigation cd tray.

Any other suggestions or leads to try to see why I'm not getting the amp to power on (presumably is my problem).

The yellow plug, pin 6, should be giving you the 12v+ switched feed to wake up the amp when the radio is turned on. I would check that the CDR220 is giving you the switched 12v+. According to the connection diagram in post#1, C6 shows as "Not assigned".

I am getting a 12V signal from C6.

Also, Loren, there is no "amp fuse" that I can tell. Unless you're referring to at the drivers footwell. I just mean theres not a fuse on the amp, like there is for the headunit.

• 2 weeks later...

Which amp do you have?

The option should be either M490 or M680.

You will also likely need the antenna booster and cable for the radio (996 647 105 00 Antenna Booster and cable -- US MSRP $96.46)

Well, shocker, but I think you were right again.

As of now, I have the new amp installed, spliced the wires into the oem harness that came out of the M680, and used the 12V power on wire that originally went to the M680 to turn on the new amp.

I'm getting power and sound from the amp, and using the new CDR220, however, I'm not getting any signal from Am/Fm. I'm getting sound from the Cd portion, but not the radio portion.

So, New amp is working (gotta finish getting the 6.5" speakers in the doors), but not getting a radio signal.

So the question is, why would I need the antenna booster for the CDR220, but not the PCM1? As I understand it, the top half of the PCM1 basically was a CDR220 as far as the internally.

Well turns out it helps is the Antenna is plugged into the back of the radio lol.

It was a long night when I was re-installing everything, and sometimes your "double-check" doesn't actually cover all the bases.

As of now, I'm up and running. I used the Becker low-level RCA outputs from the CDR220, and then sent the Fr & FL signal through the OEM RCA cables that normally is sending signal to the CD player to send signal to my amplifier. And then from the amplifier tied into the OEM wiring harness to send signal through the OEM speaker cable to my Front woofers & tweeters.

Car is all buttoned up, and just have a couple more small projects.

Thanks for all the help. It would have been nice to just swap from the PCM1 to the CDR220 without any issues, but it didn't seem worth the trouble of getting the OEM amp to work when I could just go all aftermarket with much higher quality.

Also, for reference, whoever says 6.5" speakers are an easy mod into the doors must be crazy. Really wish I had just gone to a good 5.25" woofer, but that's all in the past. OEM door speaker box is gone, and the door is all sealed up with the 6.5" woofers installed. But it was not an easy process, and not one I would do again.

• 3 years later...

Hi, Im actually changing also my PCM1 with DSP M680 against a aftermarket navigation system / radio.

Originally the amplifier was connected to PCM1 via DSP Data and DSP ground. I have bought now the DSP panel and wired it up according the wiring diagram, but the clock and interrupt line from the amplifier in the trunk are not present (White black and white blue). I guess they should be in the black connector.

Question:

Is the amplifier the same in both situations and only the two cables are missing in the wiring harness?

Is it possibly to get the pins and rewire the wiring harness (I know, not an easy job with the small connector). Or do I have to exchange the amplifier against a M490? 

DSP996PCM.jpg