Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Foam Pieces in Defrost Vent

Yup, found some of that stuff and lately been noticing some noise coming from the back of the center console. Possible other foam pieces striking the fan? Suggestions on determining issue and a fix

(Hope it doesn't include a lot of dismantling). Thx for recommendations.

• Like 1

The issue is that the foam rubber pieces that help seal the flaps over the inner vents have aged and deteriorated and will keep flying out piece by piece for a long time. At the same time, the vents won't have a complete seal and the air (whether heated or a/c'd) will not go completely where it's supposed to go, according to your settings.

There is a comprehensive fix that involves accessing those flaps from the outside of the car, below the base of the windshield and there was a very good write-up by a guy named "rsfeller" on a site called carboncow.net. That fix is no longer on that site but I believe the poster moved it to another location. If I find the write-up, I'll post the link here.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 10/11/2013 at 11:46 PM, hi8ha said:

It's time-consuming.  I'm lost as to where to remove the servo arm.  Emmett says it's under the center console?  Do you mean it's under the dash forward of the center console?  I don't see any way to get there unless you start removing dash parts.  The tutorial says to remove the kick panel on the passenger side to expose the servo arm?  Can we clarify exactly where the servo arm is for my 996?

Thanks,

Mitch

These are not in order but could be added to the tutorial. 

door11.jpeg

door22.jpeg

door33.jpeg

door44.jpeg

door55.jpeg

door66.jpeg

Edited by creekman
Pics were of good size.

Good idea, when I posted the reply I thought it was going to the original post.  Sorry about that...  I just thought bigger pictures would help.  I'm down to removing the mixing door, but I can't get the plugs out, or something is different.

How many people have used this thread to accomplish covering the doors?

Mitch

I've spent several hours trying to remove the 'plugs'.  It appears to me that there are no plugs.  The mixing door is attached to pivot sleeves and there is not a millimeter of up and down per the instructions.  When the door is moved the sleeves move the same amount.  What I see is the door top and bottom is attached to round stock and it turns in the housing. The mixing door was installed between the top and bottom halves of the housing so it's locked in the housing until the entire housing is removed.  That's what it looks like to me.

There are quite a few things that are different on a wide body car other than just the brakes and suspension. Maybe it's 2003 vs an earlier year model?   To get to this point and not get the door out will be a ball buster

Can anybody add to this...

Thanks,

Mitch 

More questions:

The foam that was spitting out of the vents, mostly on the left side was a gray material.  After exposing the mixing door through the heater core the foam covering on the door is a 'very' paper thin gold color.  That leaves me to wonder if the foam was even from the mixing door in the first place.  I think there are 2 different foams here...

Sure would be nice if there's anyone out there with more information than I have...

Mitch,

Edited by creekman
miss-spelled word...

• 1 month later...

There is some confusion in related Threads about the significance of the foam loss in some climates. The suggestion is that the foam loss will NOT affect the a/c performance.I have no personal data for this. It is worth investigating because it is a tedious and time consuming job.

BTW the best replacement for the foam is 3M Flue Tape fire-proof/high temperature tape.It is frequently cited in the "foam coming out of my vents" Threads.

Clever hack version:

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/67109-small-foam-pieces-blowing-vents-2.html

Edited by Schnell Gelb

I've had the same problem for some time and when my A/C cold air took a long time to come online I decided to follow the tech tutorial...

Warning: my door would come out per the tutorial...  My Vent door is captured by the 2 halves of the evaporator box.  Maybe because the tech tip was based on a Boxster, or my 996 C4S is different it was a bust.

My suggestion is to start under the dash and see if the door is hinged with the removable bushing before tearing into the upper trunk area first

Turned out that I had a very small weep in the pressure side line under the car.  The A/C is now working fine even though I removed a lot of the foam during my try at removing the door. 

Edited by creekman