Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

P2320 error code and bad misfire/backfire.....help!

I think my vacuum circuit problems are fixed (pump runs occasionally and circuit is holding vacuum) but as soon as the engine gets warm I am getting bad misfires across both banks. Can anyone help me track this down? For the record, all the coil packs were replaced according to dealer records

My Durametric is showing the misfires as well as this code P2320 which appears to be related to a coil circuit.....

Thanks in advance

Steve

• Admin

Fault P2320 - Bar ignition module on cylinder 7 -- SoftShutDown

Possible causes:

- Short circuit to B+

- Short circuit to ground

- Open circuit in line

- Fuse F 07 faulty (fuse carrier in plenum panel E-box)

- Bar ignition coil faulty

My bets would be on the last two.

Check the fuse first then try swapping the coil pack to another cylinder - and if follows the coil pack replace it.

Loren

Many thanks for the quick response. Fuse 7 is OK so now I will start hunting through the wiring under the covers and try swapping coil packs. I am not sure if the problem will move though as I am getting misfires logged on cylinders 5, 6, 7 and 8.....

Steve

Thanks - I swapped coil packs 6 and 7. Curiously, the problem is not as bad but still there and still throwing error code 2320. Most misfires are now logging to cylinder 5. I checked the wiring as far as I am able without cutting back the sheath and all look good. I did find what looks like a burn mark on the metal cover mount close to cylinder 5 but no evidence on the wiring. The number on the coil pack is 2 303 590 361 by Beru

Steve

I took another look at the plug packs and discovered 3 other numbers. They are - 948 602 104 05 and 0 040 102 002 All of the plug packs on the left bank share these numbers with the one above BUT three of the four also have the designation 076B9 except fot the one fingered by the error code which is 076A9 Coincidence?

Steve

Thanks for the help Loren. I will order the coil packs tomorrow but shouldn't I have got a different error code after I moved the coil pack? I just celebrated 100,000 miles on the old girl too. I would hate to change the coil packs and find the problem is in the wiring!

Steve