Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

LN Engineering Spin On Oil Filter adapter

Hi,

Was curious if any of you have converted over to the LN Engineering Spin on Oil filter adapter for the use of a full flow spin on filter. I am currently running the Porsche standard configuration oil cartridge filter with the plastic screw on housing and just need some feed back from users of this product and if it is worth the small cost. Obviously there are a few benefits in using a spin on filter and ridding the car of the plastic housing and also a full flow filtering systen seems like a better design for the engine as well. I purchased my 2002 Carrera with 65,000miles on it and maybe at this point I would gain nothing as opposed to installing this onto a new rebuilt engine along with the LN 160F Thermostat convertion as well. Oppinions welcomed.

Thanks,

Brad

Recommended. I got it as I didnt like the idea of a plastic housing getting fatigued over time. Plus I feel its location makes it vulnerable to road debris.

Its a very simple install and completely reversable for any reason.

The filter will be smaller than stock however, so I would assume the original 30,000 mile interval is too much for the limited amount of filtering media. I believe LN recommends 5K

I actually went 1 step further and added a SS mesh filter, but thats a whole 'nother topic :rolleyes:

Brett

Edited by BAD124

• Moderators

Hi,

Was curious if any of you have converted over to the LN Engineering Spin on Oil filter adapter for the use of a full flow spin on filter. I am currently running the Porsche standard configuration oil cartridge filter with the plastic screw on housing and just need some feed back from users of this product and if it is worth the small cost. Obviously there are a few benefits in using a spin on filter and ridding the car of the plastic housing and also a full flow filtering systen seems like a better design for the engine as well. I purchased my 2002 Carrera with 65,000miles on it and maybe at this point I would gain nothing as opposed to installing this onto a new rebuilt engine along with the LN 160F Thermostat convertion as well. Oppinions welcomed.

Thanks,

Brad

We have many customers running them, and I have them on my personal cars as well. This design offers several advantages, most of which were discussed in a recent Excellence response to a technical inquiry on this subject. The spin on design is a "full flow" type, meaning that all the oil is filtered at all times, there is no by-pass mechanism to allow unfiltered oil to circulate, which is more important than many give it credit for. The OEM housing has a small by-pass valve in its base, which when new allows oil to go around the filter media under certain circumstances. Unfortunately, as this device ages, it can develop a tendency to allow this to occur more often than it was designed to do, which is obviously not a good thing. While some would argue that having the by-pass available at cold start up, or if the filter became plugged with debris is important; they seem to over look that fact that many modern engines do not use a filter by-pass mechanism and do just fine on cold starts, and the fact that the spin on filter is actually rated to flow more oil than the oil pump can move in a given time frame, so cold flow is not a real problem, particularly with modern full synthetic oils. As for having a by-pass to allow oil to circulate if the filter became totally clogged, if your filter reached this state, the engine would already have experienced some significant internal damage and would be a candidate for disassembly, which would only be worsened by allowing the dirty oil to continue to circulate.

While the spin on filters are shorter than the OEM cartridge style filters, the two really critical measurements are the filter's total surface area and micron pore size of the filter media. The spin will sacrifice a small amount of total surface area, but depending upon the filter manufacturer, actually has a considerably finer pore diameter, which yields superior filtration characteristics when compared to the OEM units.

As for 30,000 mile filter change intervals, in the real world people should be changing out their oil and filters a lot sooner than that, more like 5K or once a year at a minimum, even if they are running quality full synthetic oil.

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

JEP,

what Brand and number is the spin on filter you are using?

Thanks

Van

We use the Wix/NAPA Gold 51042 as our standard spin on, which retail for about $4.50-5.00 on sites like FleetFilter.com. You should also consider the Wix/NAPA Gold 51042XP which uses a totally synthetic filter media and sells at retail for about $3 more than the standard filter. Both have proven to be excellent filters and way cheaper than the way over priced K&N units.

JFP;

Along the filter info you provide above (très apprécié!), would you care to tell us what oil you recommend to your customers, notwithstanding the fact that it might not be available north of the border?

Merci bien!

Martin

• Moderators

JFP;

Along the filter info you provide above (très apprécié!), would you care to tell us what oil you recommend to your customers, notwithstanding the fact that it might not be available north of the border?

Merci bien!

Martin

Well, I've always been an iconoclast in the oil department, depending more upon UOA's collected over the years than either Porsche or the oil manufacturer's hype. As the direct result, the shop uses two oils for the "Wasser gekühlt" M96/97 and 9A1 engines; for most applications we use Castrol Edge with Syntec Technology in a 10W-40 weight. For cars that see extreme cold, or a lot of track time, Joe Gibbs 5W-40. We have always liked the superior film strengths and life of the Castrol Syntec products, the Gibbs product is hard to beat for high ZDDP levels in a market where it seems to be disappearing from many oils. If we could get in locally, we would be evaluating the Castrol Pro Edge products, but as they are not available for general distribution in the US, that is still a future project.

• Upvote 1

Interesting! Indies are certainly more attached to the Mobil 0W40 tradition around here on the West Coast.

I should be able to find Castrol Edge around here for next spring. Although I don't track and I spirit-drive with respect to the machine, it might be worth going to 10W vs 0W as it does not get very cold on Vancouver Island in the winter. Merci encore!