Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Is it OK to mix Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds on rears and 4Ds on front?

Is it a bad idea to put Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds on back and 4Ds in back - same model tire just different model years on the front and back with some supposed improvments? I know its not ideal, but is it an outright bad idea if I want that brand and there is no other alternative for my preferred tires? Aren't the back and front always going to have different traction anyways? Many Thanks for the responses on my prior winter tire question. I am pretty close to finding a solution but would like to know if anyone sees a mistake in the making here. The world seems very very sold out on winter tires for the mighty 996 if you want to stick to porsche recommended sizes (forget N spec). I am having a really hard time finding either the 205/50 17 & 255/40 17 staggered combo or the 18" inch version: 225/40 18 & 265/35 18 that are the porsche recommended sizes. I think I could throw in the towel and just get Blizzacks and hope they are not all sloppy floaty on dry road, but I am hoping to get the top 3 or 4 tires that seem to be the best balance of dry handling/cornering and all around abilities based on input here, porsche recommendation, and consumer reports: Dunlop Winter Sport 3D (4D this year), Pirelli Wintersport 240, or Vredsteins. The only combo I could find is the mix of 3D and 4D. A very knowledgeable guy at Tirerack says Dunlop says that you can mix them, but wanted to see if others here see that as a bad idea. MANY THANKS.

Hi RoadSession, after I read your post that was my new Plan A - what works in the winter on the pike will work on 93, but here are all the places I struck out on the Vredsteins in 17" or the 18" specs you had: Tire Rack, Preferred Auto, Sullivan Tire, Porsche Dealer, Town Fair Tire. Where did you get yours? Seems like these oddball sizes are made in short runs annually and pickings get pretty slim about now.

I don't see why it would be such a bad idea, especially if your car is a C2. I have Dunlops on my C2 of an earlier generation and they do a fine job in west coast wet snot, which we are to experience tomorrow acc. to the the W. man.

Hi RoadSession, after I read your post that was my new Plan A - what works in the winter on the pike will work on 93, but here are all the places I struck out on the Vredsteins in 17" or the 18" specs you had: Tire Rack, Preferred Auto, Sullivan Tire, Porsche Dealer, Town Fair Tire. Where did you get yours? Seems like these oddball sizes are made in short runs annually and pickings get pretty slim about now.

I got mine from direct tire - they have a location by the natick mall as well as Watertown with free loaner cars and drop off pickups

No affiliation with them but if you go there you will see why so many high end car owners go there - it's spic and span and they have all the latest mounting and balancing equipment to avoid scratches - they hand torque lugs - try giving them a call 508 655-4455 - and just tell them the tire size you're looking for and then tell them tire rack is selling it for 20 percent cheaper than whatever quote they give you

I don't see why it would be such a bad idea, especially if your car is a C2. I have Dunlops on my C2 of an earlier generation and they do a fine job in west coast wet snot, which we are to experience tomorrow acc. to the the W. man.

Even with a C2 - the Psm relies on having the right traction on all four corners - now couple that with the fact that the original poster has AWD - and New England winter weather - I would never mix match tires

• Upvote 1

I got mine from direct tire - they have a location by the natick mall as well as Watertown with free loaner cars and drop off pickups

No affiliation with them but if you go there you will see why so many high end car owners go there - it's spic and span and they have all the latest mounting and balancing equipment to avoid scratches - they hand torque lugs - try giving them a call 508 655-4455 - and just tell them the tire size you're looking for and then tell them tire rack is selling it for 20 percent cheaper than whatever quote they give you

I just did a search online and found http://www.tiresbyweb.com/ have the exact sizes you need in the vredestein wintrac xtreme. Get a quote from them and try to get tire rack to price match - Btw some info / demo on these tires

• Upvote 1

MANY THANKS!!! I am doing that tomorrow.

Good luck! Btw I have no idea why the vredestein video above has a woman in a bikini and then getting a massage - wth does that have to do with winter tires -lol

Also the vredesteins are W rated - good for up to 168mph. No floaty feeling in the dry ;)

Edited by roadsession

I wouldn't worry tooooooo much about going from one version of the same company's snow to the newer version replacement, however, I would be a bit concerned about remaining tread depth. If your M3's are getting thin, I certainly wouldn't mix them with a new tire on the other axle.

Very good point, Cloudsurfer: Tire depth is key in any AWD arrangement.

We got 3 to 4 inches of snow last night and this morning on Vancouver Is. Playing around, I really only got PSM to react if I jerked around or tried to swing the tail by applying power in a turn. If I went on straigth line, then applied power to get it to fish-tail, PSM would not come on (ABS applying brake application to one of the wheels) unless the fish-tail was substantial. It works but a small steering input does not seem to awaken PSM. This medium sensibility feature is probably a good thing.

First car with stability mgt, so it is fun to try reasonable manoeuvers without wearing any consequences. Next step, try without PSM!