Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

MY2001 C4 First Drive

I picked up MY2001 C4 over 10 days ago and have been giving it the garage treatment. (Changed Oil & Filter, Air Filter, Cabin Filter, Cleaned the throttle body, thoroughly detailed) Climbed in, under and around the car. Weather here in Calgary has finally broken a bit and the roads cleared enough to take it out for a few hours and see what it is all about. It is a bit of a different beast than MY2006 Boxster was.

I have read that the 996 doesn't feel as fast or nimble as the Boxster. Maybe that is because they are a bit quieter on the inside than the Ragtop. Comes up to speed pretty darn quick and love feeling the tail dig in on starts. Lots of power all the way through RPMs. I wonder why they put a 6 speed gear box in when 4 is plenty for everyday commuting with all those other darn cars in the way on the road! Has great feel on the clover leafs. I like how the tailgating big boy trucks fall away in the turns. (See clover leaf comment)

I have a few questions for the 911 guru's. I does seem to get quite light in the front end going 200kmph in a straight line but can really feel the rear down force. The steering wheel gets light and twitchy and the front feel like it is floating on air. It kind of took me by surprise because the Boxster did not do that. (Better to know now than later) The rear wing is stock. Looks like a new rear sway bar was installed curious as to which hole adjustment would balance out the front a bit. I did not notice much under steer in the few hours I was out. When at a light the idle is smooth, but I can feel the tail vibrating while idling. Felt kinda nice! Curious as to if this is normal for the 996?

The new sway bar is nice, I think. Curious as to why you would just replace the sway bar. The rest of the bushings look untouched. Looking at the suspension coils, I noticed they are red and adjustable. I am assuming they are after market. The previous owner must have installed an after market exhaust (chrome is not standard issue and sounds good) Someone was also nice enough to put BBS LMs on the corners. (18x245 on the front with spacers & 18x285 on the rear with spaces)

Next on the list is coils and plugs and brake fluid. The brake and rotors are pretty new so they are good to go. Not having any history on the vehicle i like to start fresh all the way around.

This car is like peeling an onion. Having fun doing it. When does spring get here???

I does seem to get quite light in the front end going 200kmph in a straight line but can really feel the rear down force. The steering wheel gets light and twitchy and the front feel like it is floating on air. It kind of took me by surprise because the Boxster did not do that. (Better to know now than later) The rear wing is stock. Looks like a new rear sway bar was installed curious as to which hole adjustment would balance out the front a bit. I did not notice much under steer in the few hours I was out.

I've only been up to 120 mph and mine felt the same way. Not very confidence inspiring is it? Probably just as well as I don't need to be going that fast on public roads around here! I have stock suspension on a 99 C2 Cab. I'm surprised the C4 wouldn't be more stable at speed between the added weight in the front and the AWD. Interested to see responses. I've been told upgrading my suspension and lowering will help a bit.

I've got a 2001 C4 and noticed the same thing... It is less pronounced compared to my 99 C2, but still very noticeable.

Since then I put on the factory GT3 style front bumper, and the floating feeling is completely gone. It is amazing how a seemingly subtle change to the aerodynamics will have such a great affect on the driving experience.

My other option was to listen to my girlfriend... "You should not be driving that fast anyway"

Hey Chris, Welcome to 911dom. 911s always feel a little light in the front and the steering wheel twitches, more so in the older cars. Just hold it loosely in your hands and let it do its thing. It will give you more feedback than any steering ever! The worry with your car is that it has been worked on. Porsche really knows what it is doing with these cars and messing with the suspension is asking for it. I think the way to go is to take the car to the track or a really BIG parking lot early on a Sunday morning and have at it. See what it does. If it is controllable and you are comfortable with it, wonderful. But, if you loose it then you best get it straightened out. The old axim is, everyone totals their first 911. Don't let it be you. These cars are very fast and you do not have to step far over the line to get into trouble.

HAVE FUN!!

Update on the MY2001 C4 driving experience. Here in the Western Plains of the Great White North, we have been gifted a January thaw. It was a glorious 14ºC today with sunny blue skies!!! I was able to get out and put on a quick 150 km on some twisty roads and get a better feel for this car. I must say I did a lot of grinning. It sure do have great grip and like to turn.

The steering wheel does give you a whole bunch of feed back. It seems like you can feel ever bit of the road. The lightness I felt in the front end was not as prevalent this time around. It must have been the 70km cross winds the other evening when I first took it out that made it feel that light. It amazes me how the tail digs in in the turns.

Great stuff .... Thanks for the inputs ....

Well ... I crawled under the nose of the car and found the previous owner had installed a H&R Sway Bar ... set up softest setting .... reset to stiffest setting .... Then went under the tail and found the new H&R sway bar was set to the softest setting .... switched that to neutral .... HUGE improvement in handling ....

The front no longer feels like it is dancing ... The tail is coming around better in the corners .... Much more balanced drive!!!