Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Testing fuel pressure on 6 cylinder. Port location?

I am trying to test the fuel pressure on a base model. All the manuals I look at have a test port in front either on left or right side in front. I think this one is I back but it doesn't match any write up I saw. I don't see anything in front that could be port

Is the pipe In center of picture the location to hook gauge?

Also I saw references to pwis making the pressure availabled. I have dirmentric but didn't see that value available, is pipe in center of picture the right port location. Should I expect to have pressure cisablecin the app

post-94491-0-32526600-1394506986_thumb.j

• Moderators

Watch out what you're doing, this engine is a V6 DFI ! Be sure that you connect the low pressure fuel line with the pressure gauge. Special tools are needed for the high pressure fuel system.

my gauge doesn't have anything to connect to the port above but from checking the parts manual it certainly seems like it is before the high pressure pump. This would also be supported by the fact that it is a rubber hose.

After doing a tons of searches on Cayenne/Tourgeg/Porsche/Audi and fuel pressure adapter I believe it is a 12MM bolt. I ordered this from amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPJI8I/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am mostly posting this here in case someone has the run the same test in the future as it was a pain in the butt to figure out right part.

• 1 month later...

Still stuck on this.. I think that amazon part was the right idea but it was too small.

I saw a youtube video of a guy testing the pressure on a touareg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVBaH2jsPg4 but I cant tell what kind of tester he is using.

1)Can anyone recommend the proper equipment to fuel pressure and flow on a 2008 V6? I have a basic tester which doesn't seem to support testing it in-line.

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-5630-Fuel-Pressure-Test/dp/B000R5IASC/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1397943564&sr=1-2&keywords=fuel+pressure+gauge

As RFM mentioned this is DFI and I wanted to start by testing the low pressure.

2)I did see mention somewhere on the high pressure reporting back pressure that could see the PWIS. I have durametric and didn't see that value. Any chance I am just missing it?

• Moderators

Still stuck on this.. I think that amazon part was the right idea but it was too small.

I saw a youtube video of a guy testing the pressure on a touareg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVBaH2jsPg4 but I cant tell what kind of tester he is using.

1)Can anyone recommend the proper equipment to fuel pressure and flow on a 2008 V6? I have a basic tester which doesn't seem to support testing it in-line.

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-5630-Fuel-Pressure-Test/dp/B000R5IASC/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1397943564&sr=1-2&keywords=fuel+pressure+gauge

As RFM mentioned this is DFI and I wanted to start by testing the low pressure.

2)I did see mention somewhere on the high pressure reporting back pressure that could see the PWIS. I have durametric and didn't see that value. Any chance I am just missing it?

The video you are looking at is not for a DFI car, yours is a DFI car. The car in the video is running at less than 60PSIG fuel pressure at the injectors, yours is at over 1,700PSIG. If you do not know what you are doing, or if you mess with this high pressure system using the wrong tools, you could seriously injure your self, or worse. If you were to find an adaptor and connect the gauge in the video to the high pressure side of your car, your fuel system would blow it apart. If you do not have the correct equipment or experience, I'd suggest taking it to someone that does

• Upvote 1

The video you are looking at is not for a DFI car, yours is a DFI car. The car in the video is running at less than 60PSIG fuel pressure at the injectors, yours is at over 1,700PSIG. If you do not know what you are doing, or if you mess with this high pressure system using the wrong tools, you could seriously injure your self, or worse. If you were to find an adaptor and connect the gauge in the video to the high pressure side of your car, your fuel system would blow it apart. If you do not have the correct equipment or experience, I'd suggest taking it to someone that does

I agree 100% that I don't want to mess with the high pressure side of system. that is why I was looking to test it at the rubber hose where fuel line comes in to engine bay rather then at the fuel rails. Agree that car in that video is not DFI, my point of reference in that video was that at the hose he tests it would be low pressure regardless of if car is DFI or not. I picked that point because that hose is what feeds the high pressure pump and appears to be the only connection in the engine bay that would be low pressure. Problem is I cant seem to find any reference to what size that fitting is or where I can buy a fitting that would properly allow me to test pressure and flow.

• Moderators

I agree 100% that I don't want to mess with the high pressure side of system. that is why I was looking to test it at the rubber hose where fuel line comes in to engine bay rather then at the fuel rails. Agree that car in that video is not DFI, my point of reference in that video was that at the hose he tests it would be low pressure regardless of if car is DFI or not. I picked that point because that hose is what feeds the high pressure pump and appears to be the only connection in the engine bay that would be low pressure. Problem is I cant seem to find any reference to what size that fitting is or where I can buy a fitting that would properly allow me to test pressure and flow.

It should be a 12MM fitting if memory serves (I'm away from the shop at the moment), Actron has an adaptor that works with their fuel pressure test system for the low side only, "holding pressure" should be in the 60-70 PSIG range. Porsche never published the fitting size, just the part number for a ridiculously over priced tool that it came on. We found one that worked by trying everyone we had in the tool box.

You should also be aware that many of the fuel problems on the DFI cars are on the high pressure side, not the low pressure side, unless one of the transfer pumps has gone bad.