Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Alternator, Generator, Battery

At least two possibilities I can think of. The alternator is not good, corroded cable(s). It should not be difficult to diagnose if it's not intermittent. Is it a remanufactured alternator?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not familiar with the small meter you are using (the one I recommended reads 2 decimal places and it's extremely accurate). Are you sure it's accurate? Though the battery warning light did come on. How many batteries your car has and if you have two did they both check out ok?

Hi Ahsai

But the alternator is new! How possible it is not producing enough?

The voltage output could be low if there is high resistance in the larger cables.

Thank you JFP

Would you tell me please if i have access to this bigger cables and where they are?

Thankx

I'm not familiar with the small meter you are using (the one I recommended reads 2 decimal places and it's extremely accurate). Are you sure it's accurate? Though the battery warning acclight did come on. How many batteries your car has and if you have two did they both check out ok?

The small meter is very accurate. The car has just one battery. If they. Check it? To be honest i dont know what they did

I think your best bet at this point is to take it back to the Porsche shop and have them diagnosed it under warranty work (since they said they tested it and it was producing the correct voltage but it's not now). If they still can't fix it, time to try a different shop.

• Moderators

Hi Ahsai

But the alternator is new! How possible it is not producing enough?

The voltage output could be low if there is high resistance in the larger cables.

Thank you JFP

Would you tell me please if i have access to this bigger cables and where they are?

Thankx

I talking about the large cables that run from the battery to the starter and the alternator. They can be tested in place by measuring the voltage drop across the various sections; you should not see more than 0.5V drop, if you do, the internal resistance is too high and that cable section needs to be replaced. This is a very common problem in the 996 cars.

I believe i will take the car to BOSCH. I dont trust this porsche shop anymore. I hope they will do a better job

I don't know enough about BOSCH and their capability of diagnosing Porches but I would think an indy specialized in late model Porsches (more electronics) or another Porsche dealer will be a good choice.

Ahsai

BOSCH is specialized in cars electric. They have huge diagnostic centers in big places arround. I would give them a try. Some good indy we dont have. Other option is to go to onother porsche shop here in the area

I'm with JFP on this, there is a requirement to check for any high resistance on the transmission cables from the battery to the alternator.

Check the connections and grounds of the applicable cables.

Disconnect them and ensure they are making good electrical connection. Any intermittant bad connection will drop your voltage in the system.

I have attached a schematic so you can see what cables to check.

Don't feel bad about changing out the starter and alternator, they will provide you with another decade of service.

The vehicle is worth fixing, and won't be long now.

Grounds and Power.pdf

Because i didnt know what they did with the battery, i changed the old one

For a almost new one from my garage which i loaded before .

This time the meter is showing higher numbers.

My question, is it possible to drive the car in this condition?

Reading from meter in details:

Engine off 12 .50

Engine running 11.9

Driving 13.6

post-77547-0-15987000-1399727610_thumb.j

I'm with JFP on this, there is a requirement to check for any high resistance on the transmission cables from the battery to the alternator.

Disconnect them and ensure they are making good electrical connection. Any intermittant bad connection will drop your voltage in the system.

Don't feel bad about changing out the starter and alternator, they will provide you with another decade of service.

Hi bigbuzuki, do you have the wiring diagram for a Turbo with only a single battery? Thomas said he only had one battery under the driver's seat but no battery in the trunk, where he has the Bose.

Because i didnt know what they did with the battery, i changed the old one

For a almost new one from my garage which i loaded before .

This time the meter is showing higher numbers.

My question, is it possible to drive the car in this condition?

Reading from meter in details:

Engine off 12 .50

Engine running 11.9

Driving 13.6

If the voltage is 13.5v or above when driving, it should be fine to drive the vehicle. Don't leave it out of the garage overnight though since you may have a drain somewhere that hasn't been debugged.

Hi bigbuzuki, do you have the wiring diagram for a Turbo with only a single battery? Thomas said he only had one battery under the driver's seat but no battery in the trunk, where he has the Bose.

I don't have a specific one for single battery.

There is enough detail there for one to work out what cables go where.

One more wish if possible. I checked the fuse boxes and i found out there is a mess. Can somebody provide me with a fuse diagramm for a 2005 turbo please?

The owner manual which we have here in the document sector is confusing. Its says on the top two times "fuse box in left side..."

Thank you!

I give the car to a vehikel electric center. I hope they will find the problem. Knock on wood.

It was not possible to drive. On highway yes, but in city traffic with less rpm i could follow how the voltage drop down more and more and when i was home he didnt even start again.

A question to the experts here......

Because my voltage problem came some days

After the panorama roof was fixed, is it possible

There could be a connection between these two things?

I asked because i just read some pages of the self study guide

and see there are maybe some relavant parts in the roof area!?

post-77547-0-00071200-1400094418_thumb.j

• Moderators

A question to the experts here......

Because my voltage problem came some days

After the panorama roof was fixed, is it possible

There could be a connection between these two things?

I asked because i just read some pages of the self study guide

and see there are maybe some relavant parts in the roof area!?

It is possible. You should have the people that are looking at the car now look it over for obvious problems and possibly even disconnect it from the electrical circuit for a day or two to see if there is any change.