Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Questions regarding the Change-Over and Air Cut off......

I still haven't gotten around to this and the only reason why Im pushing it off is that alternator removal. Any tips on removal and is it that much of a PITA? Im getting some codes but I don't remember them off hand and Im just wondering if the Air Cut Off Valve is a common failing part or if its mainly the Electric Change-Over Valve that's more common? I believe the Change-Over valve is the easiest without having to remove a lot of things? Any clarifications would be great. Im about to order the parts and thinking if I should just replace both or if I can get away with just replacing the change-over valve?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

The check engine light usually comes on when its cold start or when the air pump kicks on or a few seconds after it turns off or a after driving it off the drive way and down the street a bit. I believe the codes are: CEL : P0410 + P1411 But I have to double check. From reading here and there it sounds like its either the change-over valve or the air cut-off valve is usually the two culprits! I just want to know which one is more likely to replace and or if I should just replace both while Im at it. And if so is there anything else that I should replace while Im in there?

Both valves live pretty deep in the engine behind the alternator so you definitely need to remove the alternator.

I would test the function of each valve and also check if the system holds vacuum. Could be one of the vacuum hoses is knocked loose/leaking. See details here http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/10184-cel-p0410-p1411/

Funny I was just looking at that a few days ago but didn't get to finish reading it. Thanks Ahsai Ill see what I can find out on the hoses. Ill also read that thread and see what info I can get to it. As stated my main concern is the alternator as Ive heard its a pain.

Both valves live pretty deep in the engine behind the alternator so you definitely need to remove the alternator.

I would test the function of each valve and also check if the system holds vacuum. Could be one of the vacuum hoses is knocked loose/leaking. See details here http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/10184-cel-p0410-p1411/

Funny I was just looking at that a few days ago but didn't get to finish reading it. Thanks Ahsai Ill see what I can find out on the hoses. Ill also read that thread and see what info I can get to it. As stated my main concern is the alternator as Ive heard its a pain

No problem. The alternator is not that bad as long as you know the trick to tap the long mounting bolt (with a hammer) to loosen the bushing on the alternator that's used to "lock" the alternator on to the engine. Check the altnerator relpacement in the DIY section for details.

Funny I was just looking at that a few days ago but didn't get to finish reading it. Thanks Ahsai Ill see what I can find out on the hoses. Ill also read that thread and see what info I can get to it. As stated my main concern is the alternator as Ive heard its a pain

No problem. The alternator is not that bad as long as you know the trick to tap the long mounting bolt (with a hammer) to loosen the bushing on the alternator that's used to "lock" the alternator on to the engine. Check the altnerator relpacement in the DIY section for details.

Tried doing a search and found two one for a GT2 and another one but didn't get much from it. Is there a DIY on how to replace the cut-off valve and electronic valve? Im going to try to tackle this project this weekend.

I finally got to get the code off the car and Im getting a P0410. Any suggestions on what this could be? What I should do first? Can I check the hoses with the alternator on or would it have to come off? Just don't want to end up taking everything apart to find out that I need to replace one of the valves and have to order it and wait. Any suggestions and help would be grateful.

Thanks

Unfortunately due to so many vacuum tubes and valves working together hidden behind the alternator, I don't think there's any shortcut hence the long thread I quoted before.

Btw, it may not even be one of the valves. A broken or leaking vacuum line is all it takes to effectively disable the SAI system and trip that code.

Yea you may have a good point. I just hate doing projects and not able to finish it due to a part or something Im needing. Especially when I hear the alternator is a pita. Any pointers from experience you can throw out with that bolt?

Unfortunately due to so many vacuum tubes and valves working together hidden behind the alternator, I don't think there's any shortcut hence the long thread I quoted before.

Btw, it may not even be one of the valves. A broken or leaking vacuum line is all it takes to effectively disable the SAI system and trip that code.

Yea you may have a good point. I just hate doing projects and not able to finish it due to a part or something Im needing. Especially when I hear the alternator is a pita. Any pointers from experience you can throw out with that bolt?

I hear you . Who doesn't.

Alternator removal here with tips http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/198-removing-and-replacing-the-alternator/

Steps 7 and 8 are the secret of less pain.

I hear you . Who doesn't.

Alternator removal here with tips http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/198-removing-and-replacing-the-alternator/

Steps 7 and 8 are the secret of less pain.

7. Undo right fastening screw (with deflection roller) by three turns. A gentle tap on the fastening screw loosens the threaded bushing in the generator arm (use aluminum mandrel). Unscrew fastening screw and remove with deflection roller.

8. The generator must be turned clockwise so that the swivel arm is near the crankcase and the holding arm projects beyond the fastening eye.

Yea I seen this but Im so confused on what its needing me to do? Which bolt is it in the diagram? Is it the one on the far right with the roller for the serpentine belt?