Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Water under Drivers Seat ($3200 quote to fix)

Taking care of my brother's car as he is out of country. Couple months back in a big snow storm it appears that cowl drains were blocked and the floor under the driver's seat was soaked. I removed the seat, took a shop vac to get the water out and then put a professional carpet dryer in there for 48 hours. Was able to dry out car (so I thought), however, door locks and alarm no longer work. I figured he would need to replace the security system after reading other posts. I took the car in yesterday to dealer and was quoted $3200. They said that carpet is still wet and worried about wires under the car.

Was quoted: $2200 to remove carpet and inspect wires

$1300 for new alarm module and two new keys

$150 to clean cowl

Local indy shops were my first choice but they said they would need the codes for immobilizer, keys, etc which are challenging to get. I am located in Northern Virginia. Any recommendations? Thanks

• Moderators

Taking care of my brother's car as he is out of country. Couple months back in a big snow storm it appears that cowl drains were blocked and the floor under the driver's seat was soaked. I removed the seat, took a shop vac to get the water out and then put a professional carpet dryer in there for 48 hours. Was able to dry out car (so I thought), however, door locks and alarm no longer work. I figured he would need to replace the security system after reading other posts. I took the car in yesterday to dealer and was quoted $3200. They said that carpet is still wet and worried about wires under the car.

Was quoted: $2200 to remove carpet and inspect wires

$1300 for new alarm module and two new keys

$150 to clean cowl

Local indy shops were my first choice but they said they would need the codes for immobilizer, keys, etc which are challenging to get. I am located in Northern Virginia. Any recommendations? Thanks

That quote is more than a little out of line. Getting water under that seat is common, and many times the alarm module located there can be saved by simply drying it out (do search, this has been covered several times). Second, usually it is not necessary to replace the keys if you did have to change the module out, and $1300 for two keys is akin to highway robbery.

I'd first try to do a DIY save on the alarm module before spending any money, you could just luck out and get away with just the loss of your time.

Thanks for the quick reply and thoughts on the repair quote. I did try to dry out the module following the recommendations I found in the forum but the alarm and locks no longer work. The car does start and drive. total price quested was actually $3600 not that it makes much of a difference. Appreciate you letting me know that I can reuse the existing keys.

Edited by Newc_rob

I used to live in Oakton. List I had then was:

Northern Virginia Independent Mechanics
That Have Been Recommended On PPBB

My first choice and the one I had excellent experience with, Dulles Int’l Motor Sports, closed mid-2006.

Auto Sportsystems Group (ASG)
2810-F Dorr Ave
Fairfax VA 22031
703-876-2811
www.autosportsystems.com

IMA Motorsports (moved to Chantilly)
25354 Pleasent Valley Rd
Chantilly VA 20152
703-327-9858 http://www.imamotorsport.net/

Intersport
(across from HBL)
1524 Springhill Rd Unit H. S.
McLean VA 22102
703-242-8680

I used Intersport once in 2006 and was pleased.

Taylor Chapman

22854 Bryant Court #102

Sterling, VA 20166

703-467-9130

E-mail: TchapmanRepair@gmail.com

Peter Micon at Euromotors
Alexandria VA
703-739-0004

There are several others that advertise in the local PCA region newsletter:

* funKtion auto in Dulles
* Autobahn Service in Fairfax 3158 Spring Hill Rd Fairfax 703-691-1771
* RPM in Newington
* Currys Auto Service in Chantilly, Falls Church, Reston, Gainesville (they have raced Porsches but service several makes, I'd ask about the experience of the mechanics with Porsche at each location before I'd use them) http://www.currysauto.com/

And one whose name implies Porsche is:

*Rennsport 5641T General Washington Drive Alexandria 703-750-0928

If your car is running and driving -- you might check to see if there just needs to be reprogramming.

The stealership will probably charge you 1-1.5hrs of labor.

If they want to start replacing parts -- you can decide how import the alarm and key locks are to you.

Come to think of it -- that is exactly what is happening with my car :-)

Let me know if you go that route -- I haven't bothered --

Don't tell anyone -- but I never lock my Boxster --

rather they just open the door -- than do any harm :-)

Mike

• Moderators

Thanks for the quick reply and thoughts on the repair quote. I did try to dry out the module following the recommendations I found in the forum but the alarm and locks no longer work. The car does start and drive. total price quested was actually $3600 not that it makes much of a difference. Appreciate you letting me know that I can reuse the existing keys.

Did you check the small fuse that is actually in the alarm module?

I did not check the fuse that is in the alarm module itself. The car is still at the dealership but I will check that when I go pick it up. Appreciate the advice and recommendations. Will update with how/when I get this fixed.

I normally do take it to Taylor Chapman for its service (based on reviews in this forum) but he does not have the computer needed to reprogram the car. I also gave ASG a call and they said it was a straight forward job if I I had all the codes needed. I may see if the dealership is willing to provide me the codes but that may be wishful thinking.

Edited by Newc_rob