Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Locking the pulley?

I bought an under drive pulley for my 99 C2 Tip and didn't really think it out. I know some of them come with a tool to lock up the pulley but mine didn't. Realizing now I can't lock up the motor with the tiptronic I'm looking for someone who sells a tool by itself and can't find one. I imagine the Porsche tool is pretty expensive. Does anyone have an alternative method that's safe? (or can recommend a supplier for the tool) I noticed I could shove a bolt thru and wedge it against the engine case but that seems pretty sketchy given the force required to break loose that original pulley bolt.

• Moderators

I bought an under drive pulley for my 99 C2 Tip and didn't really think it out. I know some of them come with a tool to lock up the pulley but mine didn't. Realizing now I can't lock up the motor with the tiptronic I'm looking for someone who sells a tool by itself and can't find one. I imagine the Porsche tool is pretty expensive. Does anyone have an alternative method that's safe? (or can recommend a supplier for the tool) I noticed I could shove a bolt thru and wedge it against the engine case but that seems pretty sketchy given the force required to break loose that original pulley bolt.

The factory pulley locking tool is a 5/16 metal rod with a knob on the end:

Pic131.jpg

You can make your own from hardware bar stock.

Thanks JFP! Is that tool in the picture threaded or just a rod that inserts? Is it safe to figure any rod type material that fits tightly would work? My bentley manual shows an illustration of a flat bar with 2 pins and mentions Porsche special tool #9593.

In doing a little more research the tool JFP suggested appears to be designed to hold the crankshaft during cam timing work. Has anyone used this to break the pulley bolt loose? Porsche 9593 special tool may be a flat bar with 2 pins like the ones that come bundled with some of the pulleys, I've got a call into the dealer to find out.

• Moderators

Thanks JFP! Is that tool in the picture threaded or just a rod that inserts? Is it safe to figure any rod type material that fits tightly would work? My bentley manual shows an illustration of a flat bar with 2 pins and mentions Porsche special tool #9593.

Wrong pulley locking tool, you are thinking about this one:

94bfc3e09dd6a8a095af343eae71477a.jpg

With the high torque involved, I think you may need to fabricate something yourself with pins inserting into the the holes on the pulley.

Edited by Ahsai

I'm thinking maybe a chain clamp and wrapping a pc of the old belt to protect the new and old pulley? That Porsche tool is $250 and takes a while to get, obviously makes sense for a shop but not a one time DIYer like me!

• Moderators

I'm thinking maybe a chain clamp and wrapping a pc of the old belt to protect the new and old pulley? That Porsche tool is $250 and takes a while to get, obviously makes sense for a shop but not a one time DIYer like me!

Or, how about fabricating one out of some flat stock and two bolts:

601lr.jpg

Should not take long or cost much, and appears to be what the pulley people are doing...........

I called RSS and they don't sell that tool separately but it wouldn't be too tough to make so I may go down that road. Is there any reason a chain clamp wouldn't work? My plumber buddy has those.

• Moderators

I called RSS and they don't sell that tool separately but it wouldn't be too tough to make so I may go down that road. Is there any reason a chain clamp wouldn't work? My plumber buddy has those.

I would be concerned about a chain clamp damaging the pulley itself. The device RSS makes is nothing special, it grabs the pulley by two holes instead of the OEM tool's three. As long as the tool clears the center bolt, you should be good to go. Use the new pulley as a template to set up the hole spacing for the bolts.

In doing a little more research the tool JFP suggested appears to be designed to hold the crankshaft during cam timing work. Has anyone used this to break the pulley bolt loose? Porsche 9593 special tool may be a flat bar with 2 pins like the ones that come bundled with some of the pulleys, I've got a call into the dealer to find out.

No need to get fancy or buy a special tool for this job. When I installed mine, I just used a bolt that fit through the pulley and into the hole in the block. The (relatively) difficult, time-consuming part is shaving off the timing boss...

No need to get fancy or buy a special tool for this job. When I installed mine, I just used a bolt that fit through the pulley and into the hole in the block. The (relatively) difficult, time-consuming part is shaving off the timing boss...

I'm just worried about damaging the engine casting by doing that. My pulley bolt is original and I'm a bit worried about the potential force it may need to break it loose. How tight was yours?

• Moderators

I'm just worried about damaging the engine casting by doing that. My pulley bolt is original and I'm a bit worried about the potential force it may need to break it loose. How tight was yours?

It should be torqued to 37 ft. lbs., + 90 degrees, and may have a thread locker on it as well.

• Moderators

JFP: is this safe or am I playing with fire? I can't see behind the stock pulley so I have no idea how much casting is there.

The casting boss behind the pulley that accepts the pin is designed to hold the engine at TDC while doing cam work, etc.; not to remove the pulley. If it was meant to hold the pulley while removing the center bolt, they would not have taken the time or trouble to develop and manufacture the other tool. Some people have gotten away using it to hold the pulley while taking out the bolt, but I would not recommend it.

• Upvote 1

Thanks John, I think I will just build a tool. Could have had it done already with all the time I've spent asking everyone on this thread! :blush:

Thanks for everyone's help!

If you have the equipment & materials to fab a tool, I won't discourage you. Then again, no need to make things more complicated than necessary. I see no point in making a special tool when the bolt can get the job done (without damage) in a fraction of the time it'll take to make the special tool.

Stock pulley bolt wasn't too difficult to remove either...a decent breaker bar and you're good to go.