Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Question: Coolant and Overflow Tank

Hey folks,

I've got a 2004 996 C2 in manual transmission. Current mileage is just over 34,xxx miles / 55,xxx kilometres. I have owned the vehicle since March 1, 2014 (second owner - this is my first Porsche.)

I noticed the coolant is a few millimeters below the "MIN" line at the coolant overflow tank. What's interesting too is that this coolant is...yellow/clear? Does anybody recognize what brand this coolant is or if something is terribly wrong? I don't have any cooling issues whatsoever. The coolant temp needle sits a hair over "180" when fully warm and never moves further. Looking through the service history, there is no indication the coolant was ever changed/flushed.

Pictures are below. Any suggestions on how to proceed (if necessary) and details on this funny looking coolant is appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

(I believe if you click the image, it will appear in higher resolution.)

coolant_tank1.jpg

coolant_tank2.jpgcoolant_tank3.jpgcoolant_tank4.jpg

Edited by bcrdukes

Looks like original coolant. I would recommend a complete coolant replacement with Porsche pink coolant.

Also best time to replace the water pump and thermostat as preventive maintenance. Your tank part number looks quite old and the latest tank is 99610615704 and the latest CAP is black and ends with .04

You can top it off with distilled water to a level between the min and max marks then monitor it to see if the level drops. If it's the original tank, best to replace it too as a PM.

• Upvote 1

Looks like original coolant. I would recommend a complete coolant replacement with Porsche pink coolant.

Also best time to replace the water pump and thermostat as preventive maintenance. Your tank part number looks quite old and the latest tank is 99610615704 and the latest CAP is black and ends with .04

You can top it off with distilled water to a level between the min and max marks then monitor it to see if the level drops. If it's the original tank, best to replace it too as a PM.

Ahsai, to my knowledge latest coolant cap is still blue. About six months ago I ordered 996-106-447-04-M100 and it is blue.

See http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/PEL_search_2014.cgi?command=show_part_page&please_wait=N&make=POR&model=996J&section=WATRAD&page=4&bookmark=11&part_number=996-106-447-04-M100

Bcrdukes, should you wish to do this yourself, have a look at http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/46584-how-to-drain-all-coolant-and-refill-with-a-simple-shop-vacuum/?hl=%2Bcoolant+%2Bdrain . Then again, it wont cost much to let someone else to do it with proper equipment.

• Upvote 1

Actuall you are right. The genuine Porsche ones are still blue. The black is from a different manufacturer even though it carries the same .04 p/n. Somehow I wrongly associated the black with .04

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the replies, everyone. This is very reassuring. Much appreciated!

Coming from two BMWs as they are known for their weak cooling systems, does the 996 suffer from the same problems such as cracked coolant tanks, exploding fan blades, and cracked hoses?

I will most certainly top up the tank with some distilled water and monitor from there. Should I fill it up all the way or just to the "MIN" line? Thanks again!

When I brought my '04 C2 I made it a point to change all fluids so I would have a baseline going forward (brake, coolant, oil, tranny), even sent oil sample to Blackstone. Car had 55,000 on it.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the replies, everyone. This is very reassuring. Much appreciated!

Coming from two BMWs as they are known for their weak cooling systems, does the 996 suffer from the same problems such as cracked coolant tanks, exploding fan blades, and cracked hoses?

I will most certainly top up the tank with some distilled water and monitor from there. Should I fill it up all the way or just to the "MIN" line? Thanks again!

Cracked coolant tank is very common. The radiator fans are fine but the impellers (composite material) of the water pump may shatter due to age and bearing failure. Cracked hoses are less common and if they fail, usually it's the ones that are easy to access and replace anyway.

I usually fill mine to the midpoint between min and max when cold and the coolant will expand to max when hot. If you fill it up to max, it may expand too much when hot.

Edited by Ahsai
  • Upvote 1