Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Durametric / Tech help please.

2005 911 S 3.8 coupe manual  using Durametric 6.3.2.5

I run a camshaft deviation check every month to (hopefully!) detect a possible failing IMS bearing. Over the months I have never had exactly the same reading for each camshaft i.e.. Camshaft 1 has been -0.625 , -0.5625 , -0.1094  and Camshaft 2 has been -0.5625 , -0.5781 , -0.7969   but I don't know what the figures are (I assume degrees) and if the change is significant or due to temperature etc? In other words how far do they have to change for me to be worried?

Next problem I need some help on! Every time I interrogate the car for faults I get C141 Communication PCM (display) and 9150 Reverse light 1 failure. Now I can see no problem with the display and both reversing lights work fine! They will not reset just reappear each time. Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Jonathan

• Moderators

I run a camshaft deviation check every month to (hopefully!) detect a possible failing IMS bearing. Over the months I have never had exactly the same reading for each camshaft i.e.. Camshaft 1 has been -0.625 , -0.5625 , -0.1094  and Camshaft 2 has been -0.5625 , -0.5781 , -0.7969   but I don't know what the figures are (I assume degrees) and if the change is significant or due to temperature etc? In other words how far do they have to change for me to be worried?

Next problem I need some help on! Every time I interrogate the car for faults I get C141 Communication PCM (display) and 9150 Reverse light 1 failure. Now I can see no problem with the display and both reversing lights work fine! They will not reset just reappear each time. Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Jonathan

Rest easy my friend, the spec limits for the cam deviation values are +/- 6.0 degrees.  It is normal for the values to bounce around a bit, they are subject to engine, and in particular, oil temperatures.

I am not familiar with the other two codes, and the only reference to the 9150 has to do with the spoiler deployment relay and fuse (D7), so perhaps someone can chime in here......

Just out of curiosity, does the car have any LED bulbs in the tail lights?

Thanks JFP, that puts my mind at rest. Sometimes having a bit of information is worse than blind ignorance !  :D  As for LED lights, no, none in the rear clusters just the interior lights.

• Moderators

Thanks JFP, that puts my mind at rest. Sometimes having a bit of information is worse than blind ignorance !  :D  As for LED lights, no, none in the rear clusters just the interior lights.

Reason I asked about LED bulbs is that they often cause all kinds of weird codes to appear when they are installed in cars not originally designed to carry them, so your PCM display code could be related if LEDs are involved.

• 2 weeks later...

I have interior LED bulbs, the only one that throws a message is the frunk LED.  Do you have the vehicle in reverse when checking it?  If so put it in neutral and try it.  If it comes back as soon as you clear it then it's a persistent problem and always there.  Could be a control module going bad.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Many thanks,

Jonathan

Have you determined whether your 997 has the smaller IMS bearing that can be extracted replaced via the LN Enginering kit? As you probably know some MY05 have the smaller bearing and some have the larger (incompatible with LN Eng) bearing.

...j

No certainty on IMS, I asked the selling dealer to check the IMS for me when I bought the car and was assured it was dry. Not had cause to remove the gearbox/flywheel so don't know for certain but by engine number I think it should be the earlier one. I haven't at present, crosses fingers, got a tell tale oil deposit on the floor, though I gather sometimes there is no warning.

I think Jake Raby (Flat6 Innov) has a device that will provide detail on IMS bearings for some (996?) models--not mine, I already asked. If my understanding is correct the only way to know if your M05 has the old (small) bearing or the more recent (large) bearing is to drop the transmission. Since the RMS and IMS bearing are vertically stacked, seepage in either or both could produce a damp spot below. I suppose if the joint between the transmission and block is dry one could claim that both bearings are dry.

When it comes time for a clutch I will find out which bearing I have. If it is the small one I will happily do the LN plain bearing substitution. If it is the larger bearing I plan to have it "unsealed" it and hope for the best.

Edited by j_beede