Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Please help P0441 evap leak?

konafl

• Admin
P0441 Fuel tank ventilation system above/below limit value

NOTE: Diagnosis of the tank vent’s permeability is performed by evaluating the force alteration when the tank vent is activated. Depending on the load of the active charcoal filter, the purge air contributes more or less to the formation of the mixture.

This test is performed independently of the output stage diagnosis.

Possible fault causes:

- Tank vent faulty (stuck open or closed)

- Tank vent installed back to front

- Purge air line leaking

- Purge air line trapped or blocked

• 2 weeks later...

Update. After lengthy study and work. I removed the canister and purge valve. Don't know how to diagnose canister, but purge valve I applied suction to the end that connects to throttle body and it slowly leaked down. Does this mean its bad? Is there other diagnose I can do? Thanks for the help!

• Moderators

Update. After lengthy study and work. I removed the canister and purge valve. Don't know how to diagnose canister, but purge valve I applied suction to the end that connects to throttle body and it slowly leaked down. Does this mean its bad? Is there other diagnose I can do? Thanks for the help!

Yes, check the tank vent valve as noted on Loren's response.

OK JFP and Loren, Thanks for sharing your expertise. I replaced the purge selenoid valve under the intake manifold. Still have CEL but no codes show up (?) It may be fixed. Searched for 'tank vent valve' on parts diagram and cannot find it. Is that inside the canister? Do canisters wear out?

There are several other issues which may be compounding problem.

Battery drains after 48 hours. I load tested it and always remove key. No lights are on inside.

Sport mode has never worked since i've owned car, but someone said the CEL must be off 1st.

Thanks for your patience with me

• Moderators

OK JFP and Loren, Thanks for sharing your expertise. I replaced the purge selenoid valve under the intake manifold. Still have CEL but no codes show up (?) It may be fixed. Searched for 'tank vent valve' on parts diagram and cannot find it. Is that inside the canister? Do canisters wear out?

There are several other issues which may be compounding problem.

Battery drains after 48 hours. I load tested it and always remove key. No lights are on inside.

Sport mode has never worked since i've owned car, but someone said the CEL must be off 1st.

Thanks for your patience with me

I find it unusual that you have the CEL on and no codes; who's scan tool are you using?

As for the tank vent valve, try this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zulI06TPBVc

Harbor Freights finest. does a bunch of stuff, maybe i'll try the one at autozone. Oh I alswo pulled the wheel well apart only to realize that doesnt apply to my model year

Edited by konafl

Don't waste your money on another generic scan tool. Porsche has specific codes that can not be read with that kind of tool. You will need to use a Durametric scan tool or go to a shop that has a PIWIS. The best bang for your buck is the enthusiast kit for $287.00. You should also know that PO441 Evap code is not an easy code to solve even for the pros that have all the correct tools. You might just want to find a good Indy to track it down for you.

http://www.durametric.com/    

Edited by binger