Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

The battery gauge in my 996 MY99 6 speeds won't just shows close to 11 v. Checked the battery while the car was off and shows 12.70+ v. Checked battery in idle and it shows 14 + v. So, the battery is OK as well as the charging system. What could be wrong?

God forbid, in the event is not a fixable issue and the cluster needs to be replaced, the odometer millage is stored in the cluster or in the car's computer?  If in he car's computer, guess any compatible cluster, regardless of the millage the seller says it has, shouldn't be a problem and it will show the real millage of the car?

Thanks

• Moderators

The battery gauge in my 996 MY99 6 speeds won't just shows close to 11 v. Checked the battery while the car was off and shows 12.70+ v. Checked battery in idle and it shows 14 + v. So, the battery is OK as well as the charging system. What could be wrong?

God forbid, in the event is not a fixable issue and the cluster needs to be replaced, the odometer millage is stored in the cluster or in the car's computer?  If in he car's computer, guess any compatible cluster, regardless of the millage the seller says it has, shouldn't be a problem and it will show the real millage of the car?

Thanks

The dash gauges in these cars are not known for their accuracy, so I would not be overly concerned.  Swapping out the cluster requires buying a new one (read $$$$) and having the system programed to the correct mileage using a PST II or PIWIS.

• Admin

I saw your car in the Registry photos and that gauge cluster is white - so either that was ordered as an option or someone changed the faces.

If they changed the faces then there is a chance that they did not get that voltage needle back on in the correct position.

The fix would require removing the cluster - opening it up and re-setting the needle position. A bit of a delicate job... but it can be done - and it might be a bit of trial and error to get it correct with the actual voltage.

• Moderators

The mileage is stored in the cluster and can only be increased, and not decreased, by reprogramming the cluster, at least not in an OPC. The replacement cluster must have a lower number of miles  than the Original, must also be of the same type. The gauge can also be individually replaced if defective, if it was me, i would start to test the wiring/connectors for excessive resistance first.

Thanks

The dash gauges in these cars are not known for their accuracy, so I would not be overly concerned.  Swapping out the cluster requires buying a new one (read $$$$) and having the system programed to the correct mileage using a PST II or PIWIS.

Hi JFP,

Just so you know we can take used clusters and do mileage correction at a fraction of the cost of a new cluster. Its plug n play no programing needed.  We have a lot of other services that you might find useful. PM me if you want to get more info.

PS: I also agree with RFM i would start to test the wiring/connectors for excessive resistance first.

Edited by binger

• Moderators

Thanks

Hi JFP,

Just so you know we can take used clusters and do mileage correction at a fraction of the cost of a new cluster. Its plug n play no programing needed.  We have a lot of other services that you might find useful. PM me if you want to get more info.

PS: I also agree with RFM i would start to test the wiring/connectors for excessive resistance first.

Thanks, my intention was to inform the OP that if he decided to go with a replacement cluster, the mileage issue is not a backyard DIY for most "shade tree" mechanics as it requires the use of diagnostic tools most do not have access to.

I would also have to agree with Loren in that if someone has replaced the gauge faces, that could be the source of the inaccuracy.

post-15979-0-96350400-1412355267_thumb.j

Thanks everybody for your suggestions and possible solutions.

Will start checking the connections since I took the cluster apart to replace all of the cluster bulbs. The battery gauge was working fine before the bulbs were replaced. Also forgot to mention that the battery needle gauge was inside the divider of the other gauge, see arrow. I took it apart in order for the needle to show.

I have a PST2.

Edited by hi8ha

• 2 months later...

I saw your car in the Registry photos and that gauge cluster is white - so either that was ordered as an option or someone changed the faces.

If they changed the faces then there is a chance that they did not get that voltage needle back on in the correct position.

The fix would require removing the cluster - opening it up and re-setting the needle position. A bit of a delicate job... but it can be done - and it might be a bit of trial and error to get it correct with the actual voltage.

The sticker with the codes in my car shows code X34. Would that explain the white gauge dials?

• Moderators

The sticker with the codes in my car shows code X34. Would that explain the white gauge dials?

X34 is the "painted instrument panel", which may have included the dials.