Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ignition switch substitution

Every once in a while, my '98 Boxster ignition switch fails to engage the starter. I mean there is no electrical response at all. If I try again, sometimes on the 3rd or 4th attempt it will start, but sometimes it takes as many as 8 times. I was thinking it was maybe a faulty ignition switch so I ordered a replacement from AutohausAZ. Getting positioned on my back for access was hard, but I sure could have used a lot shorter arms. Finally I got the little bugger out of there. But my replacement looked like it was already replaced with an Audi switch part # 4B0 905 849.

When I tried to put the new switch in ( part # # 4A0 905 849B0E) I noticed it didn't seat correctly because it was too tall. plus the female end of the new switch wasn't oriented in a manner that it would insert when the key was in the "0" or off position.post-92309-0-50162300-1414994866.jpg. You can see in the photo that the porsche switch in black is taller and doesn't seat all the way in the receptacle.

Has anyone else had this problem ? Are there different assemblies for the '98 ?

• Moderators

Every once in a while, my '98 Boxster ignition switch fails to engage the starter. I mean there is no electrical response at all. If I try again, sometimes on the 3rd or 4th attempt it will start, but sometimes it takes as many as 8 times. I was thinking it was maybe a faulty ignition switch so I ordered a replacement from AutohausAZ. Getting positioned on my back for access was hard, but I sure could have used a lot shorter arms. Finally I got the little bugger out of there. But my replacement looked like it was already replaced with an Audi switch part # 4B0 905 849.

When I tried to put the new switch in ( part # # 4A0 905 849B0E) I noticed it didn't seat correctly because it was too tall. plus the female end of the new switch wasn't oriented in a manner that it would insert when the key was in the "0" or off position.attachicon.gifimage.jpg. You can see in the photo that the porsche switch in black is taller and doesn't seat all the way in the receptacle.

Has anyone else had this problem ? Are there different assemblies for the '98 ?

You have the wrong switch, the 97-03 cars use one switch:

131-01060783-1040682.jpg

2004 and later use a different one:

18014-01113101-1094185.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks JFP,

I'm sure that the black GP replacement part is not compatible with my current lock assembly. The white Audi switch fits perfectly. When I was researching on-line, Pelican Parts had an alternative part Number (4B0-905-849-M56) that looks like mine.It says it works  for Boxster ignition/lock assemblies 996 347 017 07 only . See link: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/1042/POR_1042_ELIGNT_pg2.htm#item6. Says something like " Boxster (1997-04) FROM 04". Did Porsche service replace failing assemblies on the early models with '04 assemblies?  I guess I should have looked at the ignition/lock assembly part number. When I was in the not-so-comfortable Houdini position I didn't want to spend another 5 seconds looking.

• Admin

Yes, Porsche did upgrade the lock and switch assembly.

If you replace the old switch only with a new switch you will still likely get 5 or 6 years out of the new switch. A 15 minute job if you have done it before.

If you go the TSB update route then you must upgrade the whole steering lock assembly (much higher cost) but the problem should not re-occur. About 60 - 90 minutes if you have done it before.