Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Pre-Cat Oem C02 Sensor

1st of all many thanks to all as without this Site & many of the forum users I wouldn't have got this far ....

Borrowed a cheap Code Machine thingy from my mate, then  got codes of P0300, P0301, P0302 & P0303. Mmmmm?

Went on here & got an answer of possible Lamba Sensor (C02 Pre-Cat) so what now? Car was up for sale & decided to start mis-firing ace.....

So managed to removed both pre-cat sensors, labelled each then put them back into my car, but in the opposite side.

Conclusion; Car then registered a mis-fire on cylinders 4,5 & 6. AWESOME as it could've been a lot worse I guess??

So I now need a new C02 (Lamba )sensor but I can't seem to find the OEM one with the same connectors as mine, any ideas??

The only numbers I can see on the sensor are ; 1-967 059-1 & 1985 299-1.

The one below I found on Ebay is what I need but is not an OEM part. Should I use it??

Question; Does it matter what the Exhaust end of the looks like eg; some of the sensor ends seem to be different shapes ect?

Car is for sale @£7500 as I now want an older 911. (Mega High Factory Spec)

Thanks in advance......

$T2eC16J,!yEE9s5jDYfoBQ7YkCfP8g~~60_57.J

post-96605-0-02851300-1416864492_thumb.j

• Admin
P0300 Misfire Detection (Sum Total)

P0301 Misfiring, Cylinder 1

P0302 Misfiring, Cylinder 2

P0303 Misfiring, Cylinder 3

I do not see anything about an O2 sensor fault. I think changing out that senor would be a waste of money.

If they had used a Porsche specific tester I suspect that you might also have a fault P0341, P0342, or P0343 - all of which indicate a cam position sensor on that side of the engine.

I think you need to find someone with Durametric software, or a Porsche PST2, Porsche PIWIS, or Porrsche PIWIS 2 tester to further narrow down your faul.

Hi Mate,

Well, yesterday I managed to remove both of the pre-cat C02 (Lamba) sensors. I then cleaned them up and re-fitted them into the car on opposite sides (left into right right into left) then ran the car for a few minutes.

I then plugged the car back into the Fault Reader & it showed a Mis-fire on 4, 5 & 6. ??

• Moderators

Hi Mate,

Well, yesterday I managed to remove both of the pre-cat C02 (Lamba) sensors. I then cleaned them up and re-fitted them into the car on opposite sides (left into right right into left) then ran the car for a few minutes.

I then plugged the car back into the Fault Reader & it showed a Mis-fire on 4, 5 & 6. ??

Loren's point is that the codes you have gotten are cylinder misfire codes, not sensor codes; if any of the O2 sensors were acting up, you would get specific codes for each sensor.  The entire point is that you are using a scan tool that you your self describe as "cheap", and obviously not Porsche specific, exactly what many before you have done and gotten misleading code data which then led them down blind diagnostic alleys.   Before spending any hard cash, you would be well advised to get the car rescanned with a Porsche scan tool.

Hi mate,

Oops too late already on order. I see both points but I only followed an old post from another Renntech user & it seems to have worked (but we'll see once I fit the new sensor) ;(

I'm afraid there's no garage close to me with that technology so I thought for £100 it's worth a try as it would cost me more than that just in petrol to get to said garage & I'm a bit busy at present?

You guys knowledge is very good.

As a guide what would I expect to pay for a reasonable code reader?

Many thanks guys......

• Moderators

Hi mate,

Oops too late already on order. I see both points but I only followed an old post from another Renntech user & it seems to have worked (but we'll see once I fit the new sensor) ;(

I'm afraid there's no garage close to me with that technology so I thought for £100 it's worth a try as it would cost me more than that just in petrol to get to said garage & I'm a bit busy at present?

You guys knowledge is very good.

As a guide what would I expect to pay for a reasonable code reader?

Many thanks guys......

There are really only a few options:  PIWIS, lease only from Porsche, currently around $18,000 (US) for the first year; PST II, outdated (replaced by PIWIS) so it is limited and showing its age, occasionally pop up on the internet for a few thousand $ (US); Durametric, best aftermarket Porsche specific system for the DIY market, runs on laptop computer and sells for about $300 (US) with unlimited future updates; Autologic, very good aftermarket system, but sells for $12-15K (US) and you have to buy future updates.

Okay Guys,

Changing the C02 sensor dosen't appear to have worked as car runs fine when cold, or idling then when applying accelerator starts to misfire (no codes seen on my cheapo reading machine)

And I ain't near any garages as such. Any suggestions? Could changing the Cam position sensor help?

Or could I have gotten grease onto the sensor while fitting?

Edited by Polly

• Moderators

Okay Guys,

Changing the C02 sensor dosen't appear to have worked as car runs fine when cold, or idling then when applying accelerator starts to misfire (no codes seen on my cheapo reading machine)

And I ain't near any garages as such. Any suggestions? Could changing the Cam position sensor help?

Or could I have gotten grease onto the sensor while fitting?

I am not surprised changing the O2 sensor did not help.  Rather than aimlessly changing out more expensive parts, hoping one of them is "the one", you need to start doing basic diagnostics.  Just before this started, do you do anything (clean the engine compartment, etc.) getting the car ready to sell?  If so, backtrack you steps looking for problems. Start looking at the coil pack connectors and wiring harness plugs to make sure everything is fully seated.  Look over the entire engine bay for a loose or disconnected vacuum hose or clamp on the flexible intake connectors.  Somewhere, something has changed, and without a proper diagnostic scan tool, you are going to have to go on a fishing expedition.

HI Mate,

Earlier in the year I changed out the AOS valve complete with hoses/clips etc (what a job). But prior to this the Gearbox was serviced (Tip) and the R/H D shft seal replaced but thats about all?

Albeit, there was a few dents in the RH rear wing & I then took it to a body shop that had to remove the RH air intake vent to repair the dents. (the RH wheel may have been removed also?)  After that I can't remember the car being used much as it's only a weekend motor.

Is there anything at that side of the car (around air intake area) that may have been affected?

Thanks Again for your knowledge......

• Moderators

HI Mate,

Earlier in the year I changed out the AOS valve complete with hoses/clips etc (what a job). But prior to this the Gearbox was serviced (Tip) and the R/H D shft seal replaced but thats about all?

Albeit, there was a few dents in the RH rear wing & I then took it to a body shop that had to remove the RH air intake vent to repair the dents. (the RH wheel may have been removed also?)  After that I can't remember the car being used much as it's only a weekend motor.

Is there anything at that side of the car (around air intake area) that may have been affected?

Thanks Again for your knowledge......

Both the AOS can easily be a source of a hard to trace vacuum leak, as can the adjacent oil tube that often accidentally gets cracked when the AOS is serviced.

As the body shop had been working on the same side as your misfires:

boxstercylinernumbering.gif

I would also check the coil pack wiring connections and harness on that side as well.

Ok mate,

I'll see if I can see the Oil Tube you're speaking of & also check the coil connections etc.

I mean't to add that there are no codes no visible on my mates cheapo machine?

Cheers :thankyou:

Edited by Polly