Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Headlight wire insulation falling off

1999 996, weekend ride, garage kept, 77k miles

I had a bulb burnt out in drivers side headlight , pulled out to replace and all wires have insulation just crumbling off exposing bare wire. I spend an hour putting some electrical tape where I could but feel this is a temp measure. It seem Porsche does not sell this harness(inside the headlight fixture). Has nay one rewired these or found another solution?

Thanks

• 6 months later...

Found the same issue on my 2000 Carrera with 84,000 miles.  Suspect this is due to heat (southern car with front radiator fan constantly blowing heat) and Porsche Engineering not designing for the needed heat resistance.  Can't rule out Porsche Procurement buying low grade wiring or a supplier quality issue.  This should be a recall item as it is a fire and safety risk.   Is anyone aware of Porsche's response to this quality issue?

Found the same issue on my 2000 Carrera with 84,000 miles.  Suspect this is due to heat (southern car with front radiator fan constantly blowing heat) and Porsche Engineering not designing for the needed heat resistance.  Can't rule out Porsche Procurement buying low grade wiring or a supplier quality issue.  This should be a recall item as it is a fire and safety risk.   Is anyone aware of Porsche's response to this quality issue?

You think that Porsche should do a recall on a 15.5 year old car because plastic insulation is breaking down? Hmmm, it would be nice if it happened - good luck with that! I think the suggestions of liquid "tape" or heat shrink tubing are probably more realistic...

This is a problem endemic in all German cars from maybe 1995-2005 (and BMW motorcycles).

The new wiring harness specifications were created in response to new German (or Euro) regulations that automotive wiring harnesses be biodegradable.

First try at this wasn't so successful.

Later cars have gone to CANBus, drastically reducing the size of wiring harnesses.

Those of us with these cars have a problem on our hands and can take to the bank it won't be warrantied.

I ran into the same challenge when I was refurbishing some litronic headlights for my Boxster.  It wasn't that difficult to open the headlight and replace the wiring harness. 

If you are thinking of fixing the wiring yourself or want to provide guidance to a repair person, you can find instructions here: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/54697-advice-used-litronics.html

Edited by KevinH90