Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Clutch diagnose help

I have a 2000 996 C2.  I am having some transmission issues.  I replaced the clutch and flywheel about 8 months ago with my engine upgrade to a 3.6.  I first noticed a problem when my clutch pedal was soft and sticking to the floor only returning about 1/4 of the way before using my foot to pull it back up.  This problem seemed indicative a bad slave cylinder and/or air in the system. I wasn't leaking any fluid, but when I pulled the slave cylinder the internals were pushed out of the housing.  I ordered another slave cylinder and replaced it this weekend.  I ended up blowing the internals (x 2) again :censored: causing much fluid to leak out from the transmission housing.  I removed the slave and re-seated the internal cylinder.  First question is if re-seating the internals of the slave valid?  Is pushing the internal cylinder back inside the housing okay and everything is good to go? 

At any rate, I reinstalled the slave cylinder.  No more fluid leak, but its very difficult to get it into any gear while running;  I have to push fairly hard to get it into the gear I want (.  Plus, I can't get it into reverse while the car is running.  When I attempt to put into reverse, there is an audible dull thud.  Additionally, the clutch only returns to about 3/4 of the way up.  Side note:  My brakes work perfectly fine.

Are the problems I am describing indicative of air in the clutch hydraulics or something more serious? I can provide more information if necessary.  Any help with diagnosing this problem is much appreciated?

I checked the clutch cables at the shifter and on the transmission; everything is fine.  They are all connected and have not popped out of their brackets.

Thanks.

Edited by Hobbes

• Moderators

I have a 2000 996 C2.  I am having some transmission issues.  I replaced the clutch and flywheel about 8 months ago with my engine upgrade to a 3.6.  I first noticed a problem when my clutch pedal was soft and sticking to the floor only returning about 1/4 of the way before using my foot to pull it back up.  This problem seemed indicative a bad slave cylinder and/or air in the system. I wasn't leaking any fluid, but when I pulled the slave cylinder the internals were pushed out of the housing.  I ordered another slave cylinder and replaced it this weekend.  I ended up blowing the internals (x 2) again :censored: causing much fluid to leak out from the transmission housing.  I removed the slave and re-seated the internal cylinder.  First question is if re-seating the internals of the slave valid?  Is pushing the internal cylinder back inside the housing okay and everything is good to go? 

At any rate, I reinstalled the slave cylinder.  No more fluid leak, but its very difficult to get it into any gear while running;  I have to push fairly hard to get it into the gear I want (.  Plus, I can't get it into reverse while the car is running.  When I attempt to put into reverse, there is an audible dull thud.  Additionally, the clutch only returns to about 3/4 of the way up.  Side note:  My brakes work perfectly fine.

Are the problems I am describing indicative of air in the clutch hydraulics or something more serious? I can provide more information if necessary.  Any help with diagnosing this problem is much appreciated?

I checked the clutch cables at the shifter and on the transmission; everything is fine.  They are all connected and have not popped out of their brackets.

Thanks.

Did you do the clutch yourself, or was it done by a shop?

I did the clutch myself.  I replaced it when I first got the car in 2007, then again a few months ago.  The car drove fine and didn't have any issues with it until recently (@2 weeks the problem first started).  Then, I replaced the slave cylinder.  I wondering if the master cylinder is going bad...

• Moderators

I did the clutch myself.  I replaced it when I first got the car in 2007, then again a few months ago.  The car drove fine and didn't have any issues with it until recently (@2 weeks the problem first started).  Then, I replaced the slave cylinder.  I wondering if the master cylinder is going bad...

That can always be an issue, but from the sounds of your slave cylinder pushing out its innards, I'm wondering it there may be a mechanical issue with the throw out bearing fork that is causing the slave to have to reach too far to depress the throw out bearing and gain clutch release.  That could also cause the slave to come apart as it is not designed to push out that far.

Thanks JFP.  I've done a lot of reading and the bearing fork seems to be a likely candidate.  I am trying to rule out the relatively simple stuff before dropping the transmission - though, it's not that difficult to do in of itself.  Looks like I have something to do next Saturday. 

I assume the forks do go bad over time.  The one in there has about 140k on it.  I don't think I will need a new throw out bearing (replaced when I did the clutch recently), but may be worth replacing since I'll be in there.