Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Electric Frunk Release Not Working

Gentlemen

Car in question is a 2002 C2, Manual. Right Hand Drive if that matters.

For some time now the front hood can only be released by using the button on the key fob.

The switch on the side sill does not release at all. The switch for the engine compartment however works fine.

I'm not sure whether its the switch, the actuator release (but it works when using the key fob) or something else.

Would much appreciate some advice on how to go about trouble shooting this and changing the relevant part.

Thanks in advance

Karl

Karl: No expert here and the blueprint for this circuit is confusing to me, my guess would be the "frunk(bonnet)" switch in the side sill. Since the engine lid switch works and is fed by same power source I would think you would have power to the frunk(bonnet)" switch as well. Also since it is released by the fob that should qualify the wiring from the central alarm box as well as the actuator. Per the blueprint it shows a resistor and diode within the switch(!) so opportunity to fail is there. I guess it could also be wiring from switch to alarm box or the box itself, but I would start with switch first. Good thing for you is the fob works so you're not locked out! As far as change out, not sure. Bentley book says "remove drivers seat first(!). remove 3 plastic covers(shown inside of sill). loosen T30 Torx screws 6 turns, do not remove. lever cover up using plastic prying tool. Good Luck.

I keep seeing posts with the use of 'frunk' for the trunk in the front of the Porsche...the term is not a 'frunk', it is called a bonnet. 

Likely because you stemmed from the British Isles at some point in time.

In N.A., bonnet = hood.

A hood in the case of a Porsche would be somewhat misleading since it is really a trunk, hence was born the genial term, frunk for front trunk, which in our NA view, would be pragmatically acceptable, no matter what a British ex-patriate would like to impose on us (US & Canada).

In Canadian parlance, ... We stand on guard for thee frunk!

Edited by Y2K911

Gentlemen

Thank you for the responses. I laughed reading the frunk, bonnet, hood comments. The interesting thing is despite the comments we all knew what I was referring to.

@ Loren - thank you as always. I'll give it a try when I get to the factory this afternoon.

@ Wildbilly - thanks for the info/thoughts. That will be next on the list if Loren's suggestion doesn't work.

Related question - does anyone have a part number for the resistor and/or switch ? I've searched but really cannot find anything.

Thanks in advance