Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi Everyone,.

I'm a very happy owner of a 2009 C2s 6-speed, it has 60k and I have no ducumentation about the transmission fluid having been chaged.  The oil has been in there for at least 6 year and I'd like to change it now.

Has anyone changed their transmission oil?  I know it s 75w90 but I' don't know about the capacity nor the type GL4 or GL5. 

I searched for a DIY but no luck.  All assistance is greartly appreaciated.

Thank you,

Manrixx

• Moderators

Hi Everyone,.

I'm a very happy owner of a 2009 C2s 6-speed, it has 60k and I have no ducumentation about the transmission fluid having been chaged.  The oil has been in there for at least 6 year and I'd like to change it now.

Has anyone changed their transmission oil?  I know it s 75w90 but I' don't know about the capacity nor the type GL4 or GL5. 

I searched for a DIY but no luck.  All assistance is greartly appreaciated.

Thank you,

Manrixx

According the Porsche, "approx.. 3.1 quarts / 2.9 liters transmission oil".  That said, we use only Porsche supplied fluids in these gearboxes.  People have tried a lot of different brands, and many have encountered noise and poor shifting as the result, eventually going back to the Porsche supplied lube

Buy 3 litres bottles from places like Sunset Porsche. About $40/quart OE fluid 75W90. Smart move to do this project early. Send a sample out to Blackstone Labs if you like to read and collect UOA data. Make sure you know where the fill plug is, and that you can get is loosened, before you start your DIY project.

Buy 3 litres bottles from places like Sunset Porsche. About $40/quart OE fluid 75W90. Smart move to do this project early. Send a sample out to Blackstone Labs if you like to read and collect UOA data. Make sure you know where the fill plug is, and that you can get is loosened, before you start your DIY project.

I'll do my research to make sure i have the right tools and know the location of the fill and drain plugs.  I want to get lots of miles of this vehicle,  definilty going to be on top of the maintenance.  

Do you know which fuild is the correct one, I found two at suncoast.

1. http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/00004320420L.html?Category_Code=997_Carrera_S_G2_Enginetran

2. http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/99991754600.html?Category_Code=997_Carrera_S_G2_Enginetran

thank you!

• Moderators

I'll do my research to make sure i have the right tools and know the location of the fill and drain plugs.  I want to get lots of miles of this vehicle,  definilty going to be on top of the maintenance.  

Do you know which fuild is the correct one, I found two at suncoast.

1. http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/00004320420L.html?Category_Code=997_Carrera_S_G2_Enginetran

2. http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/99991754600.html?Category_Code=997_Carrera_S_G2_Enginetran

thank you!

Suggestion, try Sunset Porsche in Beaverton, OR; board sponsor and one of the lowest OEM parts prices you will find.

• 1 month later...

I just purchased a 2006 C4S, it has a manual 6-speed transmission. When cold sixth gear would grind a little but shifted fine after the motor warmed-up. I decided to do a transaxle oil change, to see if that would help reduce the 6th gear cold grind, and had purchased three quarts of fluid from Sun Coast Porsche based on the owners manual and what I read on this and other forums. I also had 1 1/2 quarts of the stuff on the shelf in my garage from previous tranxale changes on my Boxster.

When I drained the transaxle fluid on the C4S it looked like there was more than 3 quarts of fluid in the drain pan. I thought hmmm... Glad I have more on the shelf. I emptied three quart containers into the transaxle and it wanted more. So I pumped the half quart container I had on the shelf into the transaxle... It wanted more. I pumped the full, fourth quart, (over 4 quarts by now) of fluid into the transaxle and it still was not full. I put my pinky finger into the fill hole and could not feel any transaxle fluid. What the heck kind of transmission/transaxle do I have??.

Yes the car was level when I added the fluid, I use lift bars and all four jack stands were the same elevation setting.

The linkage on this transmission has quite a bit of counter ballance weights  on them, looks like I am slinging 5 lbs of weights under there.

I realize this is a 997.2 thread but was one of the only threads that was on the topic of transaxle fluid capacities.

Edited by Jager

• Moderators

I just purchased a 2006 C4S, it has a manual 6-speed transmission. When cold sixth gear would grind a little but shifted fine after the motor warmed-up. I decided to do a transaxle oil change, to see if that would help reduce the 6th gear cold grind, and had purchased three quarts of fluid from Sun Coast Porsche based on the owners manual and what I read on this and other forums. I also had 1 1/2 quarts of the stuff on the shelf in my garage from previous tranxale changes on my Boxster.

When I drained the transaxle fluid on the C4S it looked like there was more than 3 quarts of fluid in the drain pan. I thought hmmm... Glad I have more on the shelf. I emptied three quart containers into the transaxle and it wanted more. So I pumped the half quart container I had on the shelf into the transaxle... It wanted more. I pumped the full, fourth quart, (over 4 quarts by now) of fluid into the transaxle and it still was not full. I put my pinky finger into the fill hole and could not feel any transaxle fluid. What the heck kind of transmission/transaxle do I have??.

Yes the car was level when I added the fluid, I use lift bars and all four jack stands were the same elevation setting.

The linkage on this transmission has quite a bit of counter ballance weights  on them, looks like I am slinging 5 lbs of weights under there.

I realize this is a 997.2 thread but was one of the only threads that was on the topic of transaxle fluid capacities.

The car should only take around 3 liters.  Does your gearbox look like this (two fill plugs marked in green)? If it does, you are supposed to be filling through the one to the right (the lower one) in this picture:

dsc01566-1.jpg

JFP, I got under the vehicle again and discovered the error of my way. Yes you are correct, there is another side hole and I had to remove another cover to properly access it. Thank you sir, you put on the correct path again.

What are the hazards of driving a transaxle that is over-filled?

Edited by Jager

• Moderators

JFP, I got under the vehicle again and discovered the error of my way. Yes you are correct, there is another side hole and I had to remove another cover to properly access it. Thank you sir, you put on the correct path again.

What are the hazards of driving a transaxle that is over-filled?

Flooding the clutch area with gear oil.  If you have over filled it, just remove the correct lower fill plug and let the excess drain out to the correct level, then reinstall the fill plug.

• 2 months later...

2009 C2S,

JFP, you noted that you should fill using only the lower (one on the right in your picture).  Well, my indy used the upper one to fill..... he then said it needed more oil (I supplied three liters of PTX) and I pointed out the lower plug.  He pulled that plug and a drip came out and he confirmed it was full by putting in an "L" allen wrench.  (THe indy has been working on Porsches for many years but mine was the first 997,2 he saw hence the error.

So... what is or was wrong with filling from the upper plug?  I certanly hope the two holes are connected to the same tank behind no?

Thanx

Bruce in Philly

• Moderators

2009 C2S,

JFP, you noted that you should fill using only the lower (one on the right in your picture).  Well, my indy used the upper one to fill..... he then said it needed more oil (I supplied three liters of PTX) and I pointed out the lower plug.  He pulled that plug and a drip came out and he confirmed it was full by putting in an "L" allen wrench.  (THe indy has been working on Porsches for many years but mine was the first 997,2 he saw hence the error.

So... what is or was wrong with filling from the upper plug?  I certanly hope the two holes are connected to the same tank behind no?

Thanx

Bruce in Philly

As mentioned above, they are at different levels, so filling it from the wrong plug will over fill the gearbox and risk having the excess oil get onto the clutch from the input shaft housing.