Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

X50 Exhaust Tips vs Standard 996tt Exhaust Tips

I've been doing some research to purchase an 04 996tt. I've noticed something that I have a question on. The regular 996tt exhaust tips appear to be oval in shape. On the 996tt with X50 the exhaust tips appear to have for the lack of better words a "two in one" type of exhaust tip. My question is does the X50 have different exhaust tips which have this "two in one" type of look? I know the exhaust is different but didn't know about the tips. If this isn't an X-50 issue then was this an option on the 996tt? 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2015 at 2:18 PM, Dus10R said:

They just look like a two in one. One side is actually painted black and is non functioning. But yes they havent different tips.

This is incorrect as far as genuine factory tips are concerned.  The tubing is split at the rear and exhaust gasses exit through both sides.  Aftermarket quad tips may have one side sealed off, but the factory ones don't.

On September 3, 2016 at 9:26 AM, spooltime said:

This is incorrect as far as genuine factory tips are concerned.  The tubing is split at the rear and exhaust gasses exit through both sides.  Aftermarket quad tips may have one side sealed off, but the factory ones don't.

Sorry, you are mistaken for the X50 it is purely cosmetic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2016 at 1:00 PM, wross996TT said:

Sorry, you are mistaken for the X50 it is purely cosmetic.

This is a stupid debate, but having just personally installed an aftermarket exhaust on my X50, factory fitted with X54 tips, I know exactly how the optional stainless steel quad tailpipes are designed since I was just working with them.  And one side is not closed off.  The tip connects to the muffler as a single pipe, and then splits into the two sides of the tip, both of which flow exhaust gas.  So they're differently cosmetically from the base singles tips, but exhaust gas does come out both sides of the X54 tip.  They do say the X54 tips are worth an extra 6.3HP . . . just kidding.   If I get motivated, I'll post a picture of a real X54 exhaust tip.