Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

wiring in light fixtures in 2000 c2 cabrio w/68k miles

Much of the wiring in my car's light assemblies have cracks in the insulation/wiring plastic sleeves.  All but one of the cracks that affected lighting the bulb have been fixed by taping over the cracks.  The wire for the rear fog light pax side has sleeve cracks but taping it still doesn't allow the fog light bulb to work.  Not a safety issue here in VA but if there's a quick fix without replacing the whole rear light assembly, any suggestions?  Thanks.

Thanks for quick reply Loren.  I'm ordering the plugs and sleeves for both sides of the hard top and windshield.  When installed and tested, will let you know.  Don't know how simple wiring sleeve apparently dried up and cracked.  As far as I know, car from TX originally, garaged there and since mine, has also been garaged, so it has been in controlled environment its life.  This should've  precluded anything drying out in the car.  Fortunately not a major problem.  Walt M.

Some of the front end and read end harnesses can be replaced (if needed) without replacing the whole car's harness.

Any idea what caused the damage?

Check out this thread on the Pelican 986 forum:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxster-cayman-forum/848710-head-lamp-advice-1999-986-a.html#post8460771

The theory is that European regulations required biodegradable wiring during the 90's. 

These articles  appear to provide some support for that theory. http://www.prestigeimports.net/are-rodents-chewing-the-wiring-in-your-porsche-or-audi/

http://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-cayenne-forum/733521-brittle-wiring-insulation.html

I personally had to rewire a litronic headlamp from a 99 Carrera.  The insulation was dried up and cracked as described by the OP and was just flaking off.  Although his car is a 2000 model, it may have the biodegradable wire insulation especially if it had a build date in 99. 

Edited by KevinH90

Thanks for the info on the wiring.  Unbelievable about the biodegradable wiring.  If true for us with these cars, this could be a major safety issue.  Notwithstanding, I'll probably simply do what you did and rewire those that need it and especially the non working fog light.   

It's the pax side rear that has a receptacle for a light bulb but when one's inserted, doesn't work.  Remaining 3 work.  Also, nothing in the owner's manual about this.  But, it's an answer and therefore, maybe not waste my time on it anymore.  Assume you have a vacancy like mine.  Thanks.