Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster not locking/window not dropping

I have a problem on the passenger side of my Boxster S 2000 that makes the car unable to lock and passenger window to not drop when grabbing the handles (either outside or inside). Sometimes the window drops from both the outside and inside door handle and then it also works to lock the car, but must often it doesn't work. When you try to lock with the remote it locks and then unlocks immediately and double honks. The door button light on the panel is also lit red (even while driving).

If you lock with the key on the drivers door it locks but not the passenger door. After a couple of hours the alarm goes off. After this happens the passenger door and windows works and I can lock the car with the remote. I suppose the car get a contact with the passenger door again and realizeses that it's unlocked?

I had the exact same problem last year after taking the door panel off and forgetting to reconnect the inside microswitch. When connecting it again the lock and window worked the rest of the year and so it did for a short while after taking it out again after the winter. I have checked that the microswitch is connected now.

So far I have checked that both outside and inside switch are connected. I have also removed the door lock mechanism. The microswitch on the outside, that as far as I understand check if the door is open or not, seem fine to me. I have opened the alarm module under the driver seat (LHD car) and it's like new on the inside so it shouldn't be water damage or something like that. When doing this I also replaced the fuse on the alarm module. I have also cleaned all the connections I have disconnected with electronic cleaner.

Now I'm completely out of ideas. What should I try next? Is there any point to buy a new door lock mechanism even though the switch look fine to my eye? Or could it even be just the window micro switches i should replace?

Any help is really appreciated.

I'm answering my own question after finally finding (at least I think so) what the problem was. After trying with the inside door handle microswitch disconnected the car locked and unlocked perfectly. The window also dropped from the outside.

The switch itself was working but one of the cables that you connect to the switch was a little loose. After pushing it in its place in the connector everything works again. All these problems for such a small thing... I haven't read about someone else having this problem so hopefully someone can be saved in the future if checking this before spending too much time with it.

The bad news is that while tearing down half the car trying to find the problem, I created a new one. Now the window drops from both inside and outside but it doesn't stay up after letting go of the handles. Can someone confirm that this is a broken door lock mechanism?

I even took the microswitch that check if the door is closed in the latch apart so it wouldn't be a big surprise if something went wrong, even though I was careful.