Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fuse keeps blowing

Haven't been on RT for a while. .  .finally retired and have time to play!!

Question: My left radiator fan fuse, C10 keeps blowing.  Fan runs fine when the fuse is ok.  I searched the forum and couldn't find this specific case.  Thanks for any help.

Congrats on the retirement :)

C10 should be 30A. You put in a 30A fuse?

Maybe its bearing is bad or its sluggish, which increase its load and in turn increases the current draw.

Edited by Ahsai

Maybe I misunderstood you. When you put a new fuse in, does the fuse blow right away the first time the fan tries to come on? Or the fan will work  for sometime but the fuse blows later?

If it blows when the fan tries to turn on, I would suspect a seized fan or there's a short to ground.

The fuse blew last week and I replaced it. It was fine till today when it blew again. I replaced it, started the car (AC was on) and the fuse blew within 20 seconds. The fan did come on momentarily and seemed to spin up. I guess I need to get under the car and start looking for chaffed wires, et al.

Well, here's the final for this short story.  I did Loren's DIY to replace the ballast resistor for the left radiator fan based on the visible burned area on the existing resistor.  As soon as I started the car the new resistor burned up.  Out of ideas and experience I took it in and the mechanic told me that there was a fan system wire upstream of the resistor in the fender that you can't see and had chaffed and was shorting the system. Not sure what lesson I learned out of this other than I got a complement on my resistor replacement wiring - thanks Loren!   

Well, here's the final for this short story.  I did Loren's DIY to replace the ballast resistor for the left radiator fan based on the visible burned area on the existing resistor.  As soon as I started the car the new resistor burned up.  Out of ideas and experience I took it in and the mechanic told me that there was a fan system wire upstream of the resistor in the fender that you can't see and had chaffed and was shorting the system. Not sure what lesson I learned out of this other than I got a complement on my resistor replacement wiring - thanks Loren!   

Glad you got it fixed. I think your lesson should be: Don't give up so easily! Had you looked a little further "upstream" you could have identified the problem, fixed it yourself, saved some $ and gotten some real satisfaction! Good luck with your future endeavors! :thumbup: