Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

My car is leaking

Hi all,

I have an issue with my 2000 996 that must be resolved. Every time it rains, under the driver's side rear seat and rear floorboard I get quite an accumulation of water which soaks the carpet and foam under it. The top does not appear to leak, nor do the windows so what gives? Is there a plug maybe under the car or the rear wheel weal that may be missing? This has been going on a while now so please help me resolve it!

I can provide pics if that'll help.

Edited by gcp

There is a drain system and there are drainage channels and reservoir which takes water from the roof and windows down through the body and into the valve under the wheel arches. You need to especially be careful on the driver's side because there could be a security/ignition module under the driver's seat (depending on the year of your car).

Clear the drains, replace those that are broken. Take the back seat out, take the carpet out and dry your car out with a de-humidifier. 

Let your car dry out. Clean the carpets with an anti-bacterial/fungus type cleaner and you should be good to go.

Julie

• Upvote 1

GCP...  

After taking Julie's good advise you might take a hose and water to specific areas of the roof, windshield, door glass, etc. to see if you can duplicate the water accumulation under the seat.  Naturally you would start out with a dry floor. 

It appears that the water is coming in somewhere in the rear seat area, then draining down to the lower driver's seat pan.  Do you get the water build up when parked or driving?

Julie, I appreciate the quick response but is there a picture or schematic that would show me where the drainage channels, valve & reservoir are that may be clogged?

creekman, I think the water accumulation occurs while I'm driving because I was driving the car today in the rain.

Take off the speaker cover, take off the rear wheel, and remove the wheel well liner.  You should be able to see the whole system.  The drain in the wheel well is probably clogged.  To get the carpet up enough to dry it you have to remove the rear inner panel also.

My car also had a leak on the front seal for the rear window that needed replaced.

dj, thank you for the suggestions. As an update, this morning I removed the rear speaker but did not see presence of water inside that compartment. I then used compressed air on both drivers side drain slits to assure that they are unclogged and they appeared to be. As insurance I poured water in the drain area and the water did come out the bottom of the wheel well so the drain system is working. But I am intrigued but the window suggestions in that I had mine replaced by a local shop a few years back and maybe that's where it's leaking? Exactly which seal are you referring to? Do you have a picture to help guide me?

I am still drying the carpet and foam under it, good news is that most of the water has been removed.

All, in my case the drains appear to be unclogged but I discovered a portion of the rubber seal of the top's driver side that was not sealing properly against the frame, allowing water to flow within. So, I first glued the rubber onto the frame of the top and then used silicon to further enhance its functionality so let's see how that plays out....and the rear window seals appear to be sealing properly so I will not replace at this time.​

I also have an issue with the driver's side main window...every time I roll it down the outside rubber seal bends inward resisting the closure of the glass. Is this an adjustment issue I can tackle myself?

Edited by gcp

Do you have access to the Bentley Porsche 911 Carrera Service Manual? Pages 50-4 through 50-7 cover the drains and how to access them. You can pick one of these books up for about $14.00 bucks on Amazon.

God luck with ^that^... They're usually about 10x that price (approx. $150) :eek: