Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2004 Cayenne Turbo keep shows tailgate is open

04 Cayenne Turbo, The dash is show a car with tailgate in RED while im driving, it will keep Beep every time i take off from a stop, it is very annoying. I did make sure the glass and the tailgate are closed. anyone know this RED trunk dash message is for the glass or the tailgate? it must be a broken sensor that i want find it to adjust or unplug it or short it out in the meantime while im looking for a new trunk sensor to replace.

You can try adjusting the latch catch itself.  But this will only work temporarily.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/309-adjusting-rear-glass-latch-eliminate-open-glass-warning/

The sensor itself is for the Glass and located right under where the glass latches physically.  The sensor is normally open, so what that means is you can just unplug it and it will think it's always closed.  This is what i did since the sensor is not easily replaced and is apart of the latch assembly.

get inside and close the hatch.  then get to work pulling the plastic off by the window ( i think the sides have to at least be loosened for the bottom plastic frame to be removed)  you will see a little micro switch in the center below the glass, it will have a 2 prong plug.  unplug that.

Good Luck.

I was surprised that I got this red tailgate picture and warning beep - all it was ...the dog blanket in the back caught in the latch area. It didn't even seem enough to stop the tailgate from closing all of the way but clearly enough to make the sensor think the gate was not shut. A minor latch adjustment might solve your problem. Also check inside the latch area to make sure nothing has dropped through the sprung trapdoor around the latch

Steve

• 1 month later...

I have a 2008 Cayenne GTS doing the same thing.  At weird times, the alarm will suddenly go off.  When I look at the dash on the car,  the indicator shows that the rear hatch is open.  Despite opening and reclosing the hatch, the dash warning and interior lamps will not go off.  Also, when I attempt to drive the car with this fault, I get the constant and irritating beeping whenever I start forward and periodically during driving.  It is strange that this only does this periodically, but I am unable to clear it.  There is nothing caught in the latch assembly or blocking the rear door from closing fully.

Does anyone have any ideas?

The 1/2/2016 12:56PM Clarksongli reply posting above contains pictures that are not viewable, so I can't determine if the post is able to help my issue...

Ed

• 6 years later...
On 1/2/2016 at 10:56 AM, clarksongli said:

You can try adjusting the latch catch itself.  But this will only work temporarily.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/309-adjusting-rear-glass-latch-eliminate-open-glass-warning/

The sensor itself is for the Glass and located right under where the glass latches physically.  The sensor is normally open, so what that means is you can just unplug it and it will think it's always closed.  This is what i did since the sensor is not easily replaced and is apart of the latch assembly.

get inside and close the hatch.  then get to work pulling the plastic off by the window ( i think the sides have to at least be loosened for the bottom plastic frame to be removed)  you will see a little micro switch in the center below the glass, it will have a 2 prong plug.  unplug that.

Good Luck.

This TOTALLY worked. This problem started with beeping and dome lights occasionally coming on, and quickly devolved into hatch open notice and car alarm going off incessantly!  THANK YOU!!!