Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Camshaft deviation - what to do next....

Hello all,

some background, I got 2001 C2 with about 85K on it. No history except that the car was tracked as some point.

I was playing with the idea of doing the IMS PM but first, learnt about the cam shaft deviation check procedure.

So I got Duramtric and here is what I have :

Camshaft 1 :  - 6.27

Camshaft 2 : - 3.05

not sure for how long I'm going to keep the car, but don't mind to work on it for bit while winter is still here. What would you do as next step? I have dirty injectors/ fuel rail to take care of, so I was about to do that, but the Camshaft thingy got me alarmed .

Open to comments and suggestions....

thanks

post-103979-0-16823000-1456154857_thumb.

• Moderators

Hello all,

some background, I got 2001 C2 with about 85K on it. No history except that the car was tracked as some point.

I was playing with the idea of doing the IMS PM but first, learnt about the cam shaft deviation check procedure.

So I got Duramtric and here is what I have :

Camshaft 1 :  - 6.27

Camshaft 2 : - 3.05

not sure for how long I'm going to keep the car, but don't mind to work on it for bit while winter is still here. What would you do as next step? I have dirty injectors/ fuel rail to take care of, so I was about to do that, but the Camshaft thingy got me alarmed .

Open to comments and suggestions....

thanks

Did you thoroughly warm up the car (as in take it for a ride for 20 min. or so) before you checked your deviation values?  Checking them on a just started car will often give you erroneous values.

Even if these are your final numbers, only one is out of spec, and then only by a little bit.  Normally, this is as the result of worn chain tensioner paddle pads, which can be replaced.  And as the values are steady, there is not sign of impending IMS issues.

• Moderators

Test was done on a barely warm car with no test drive.

So from what JFP says, nothing to be alarmed so far?

I will dissect the oil filter soon and will probably drop the pan later on for a piece of mind.

I would not be alarmed just yet, the range for these values is -/+6 degrees, which is a large window.  Take the car for a good run, and then recheck the values before deciding anything, and if the values are still out, you need to replace some tensioner paddles.

Take the car for a good run, and then recheck the values

Good to hear, but that will be in spring only.

Meanwhile, while we're on the topic, what exactly needs to be replaced  - twe two "C shaped" wear pads that go between two cam sprockets?

And in my case, that would be Bank 1 I reckon? which is on Left / Drivers side of the car, right?

Thanks

Edited by Youri Ko