Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I would be finished with the 40,000 mile maintenance on my 2013 Cayenne Diesel except for one open item:

Can anyone clue me in on how to read the "transfer gear wear integrator"?

I just purchased an iCarScan which allowed me to read fault codes, soot mass particle filter data, and perform oil/service resets, but no luck finding anything related to the transfer gear.

• Moderators

With a PIWIS or Durametric system, you are supposed to be reading out any fault codes in the engine, transmission, and transfer case, which contains a wear indicator sensor system which can throw codes if the oil is beat up enough.  If there are no codes, you are fine; but if there are codes from the transfer case, it could need further service.

I have no idea if the iCarScan unit can even see these sensors as we do not use it, and the last time I looked at one, we found it to be somewhat lacking compared to the other two diagnostic systems.  The Durametric system can definitely see the transfer case.

Found the following which others might find useful:

WM 0335IN DIAGNOSTIC MAINTENANCE: RESETTING DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM AND
SERVICE INTERVAL (CAYENNE, CAYENNE S, CAYENNE S E-HYBRID, CAYENNE
TURBO, CAYENNE (3.0), CAYENNE GTS & CAYENNE TURBO S) > RESETTING
SERVICE INTERVAL > READING OUT TRANSFER GEAR WEAR INTEGRATOR
Information
The transmission wear integrator oil must be checked during every intermediate
maintenance/maintenance.
1. Start PIWIS Tester II 9818 and follow the instructions on the Tester.
2. Select the vehicle type and start the PIDT.
3. Select the All-wheel menu.
4. Select the Actual values, input signals menu.
5. Select the T_wear integrators menu. Press [F12] to continue.
Read out the value for V40 transmission wear integrator - oil .
If this value is greater than 145 kWh , the oil in the transfer gear must be changed →
Changing oil for transfer gear. If the value is lower, no further action is required.
7. If the oil in the transfer gear has been changed, the value must be deleted and reset to zero by
pressing [F8].

So it looks like this parameter indicates whether or not you need to change your transfer gear oil.

Now if I could only get that data from the iCarScan...anybody else with an iCarScan?--maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

JFP: you say Durametric can access the parameter, do you know if it can do the reset if the gear oil is changed?

Sorry, Copy/Paste went SNAFU on my computer above procedure should read:

Information
The transmission wear integrator oil must be checked during every intermediate
maintenance/maintenance.
1. Start PIWIS Tester II 9818 and follow the instructions on the Tester.
3. Select the All-wheel menu.
4. Select the Actual values, input signals menu.
5. Select the T_wear integrators menu. Press [F12] to continue.

6.Read out the value for V40 transmission wear integrator - oil .

If this value is greater than 145 kWh , the oil in the transfer gear must be changed →
Changing oil for transfer gear. If the value is lower, no further action is required.

7. If the oil in the transfer gear has been changed, the value must be deleted and reset to zero by

pressing [F8].

• Moderators

Found the following which others might find useful:

Information

The transmission wear integrator oil must be checked during every intermediate

maintenance/maintenance.

1. Start PIWIS Tester II 9818 and follow the instructions on the Tester.

3. Select the All-wheel menu.

4. Select the Actual values, input signals menu.

5. Select the T_wear integrators menu. Press [F12] to continue.

Read out the value for V40 transmission wear integrator - oil .

If this value is greater than 145 kWh , the oil in the transfer gear must be changed →

pressing [F8].

So it looks like this parameter indicates whether or not you need to change your transfer gear oil.

Now if I could only get that data from the iCarScan...anybody else with an iCarScan?--maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

JFP: you say Durametric can access the parameter, do you know if it can do the reset if the gear oil is changed?

Up to and including model year 2010, yes; not sure about later vehicles as I have not tried one.  The PIWIS system works on all model years.

As mentioned earlier, iCarScan is not as capable as the other systems as it is not Porsche specific and lacks many of their diagnostic capabilities.  You simply do not get as much with a universal phone app system as you do with a Porsche specific tool.

As mentioned earlier, iCarScan is not as capable as the other systems as it is not Porsche specific and lacks many of their diagnostic capabilities.  You simply do not get as much with a universal phone app system as you do with a Porsche specific tool.

JFP - have you used an ICarScan?

I own both a Durametric and the ICarScan. As far as capabilities - they seem quite equal, but the ICarScan is easier to use for things like resetting different service intervals.

ICarScan didn't come out of nothing - it's a product of "Launch" technologies - who is one of the largest diagnostics test manufacturers in the world.  It had no problem accessing ALL the modules on my 2011 Turbo, and reading out information such as the battery specification settings stored in the Gateway.  And it's not a "universal phone app" - it has software written specifically for each manufacturer that has to be downloaded, and my experience with the Porsche and BMW versions of the sotware is that it is quite complete. 

Not to mention the ease of taking it along in the car - just toss the OBD-II/Bluetooth dongle in the glovebox and bring your phone - you're set to go.  And the price - roughly 1/2 Durametric (and no VIN# limit.)

I had a few minutes and went looking on ICarScan (significant # circled):

screenshot_20160401-154556_zpspxuofvp1.j

The info was found under the 4-wheel-drive section. I forget what subsystem I picked, but whatever it was it seemed pretty obvious.  Actually - looking at the PWIS menu directions, the path to enlightenment is almost identical. You need to go to 4-wheel-drive, data stream, T_wear integrators, then select ALL, confirm and read the values.

Edited by deilenberger

• Moderators

JFP - have you used an ICarScan?

I own both a Durametric and the ICarScan. As far as capabilities - they seem quite equal, but the ICarScan is easier to use for things like resetting different service intervals.

ICarScan didn't come out of nothing - it's a product of "Launch" technologies - who is one of the largest diagnostics test manufacturers in the world.  It had no problem accessing ALL the modules on my 2011 Turbo, and reading out information such as the battery specification settings stored in the Gateway.  And it's not a "universal phone app" - it has software written specifically for each manufacturer that has to be downloaded, and my experience with the Porsche and BMW versions of the sotware is that it is quite complete. 

Not to mention the ease of taking it along in the car - just toss the OBD-II/Bluetooth dongle in the glovebox and bring your phone - you're set to go.  And the price - roughly 1/2 Durametric (and no VIN# limit.)

Yes, we spent some time with one with the Porsche software package some time back and at that time found that while it could do a lot of things, there were also several areas where it simply did not work on several different systems at that time, such as reading the oil condition in the Cayenne transfer case.  We also had problems trying to both read or activate some systems with it as well.  While they may have added features since we saw it, I really did not see it as a primary diagnostic tool at the time.  The prices we saw for the app were around $200 (retail) for the system, plus another $60-70 for the Porsche extension software, which at the time put it very close to the Durametric Enthusiast package.  If memory serves, it was Android only as well.  I think Amazon is selling the basic system for around $225 now.

I paid $176 for mine (including shipping,) with 5 included vehicle packages, and one year of updates. I edited my post above - the wear indicator for the transfer case on a 2011 Cayenne is easily readable now (and mine looks quite healthy.)

This same device is sold in the US by several vendors such as NAPA, Matco  https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/EASYDP2/EASYDIAG-2-0-PLUS-2-CAR-LINES/#to-details for less money ($130, with two manufacturer's included.) And I expect that's why ICarScan isn't sold in the US.  This version has links for both an Android interface and an IoS interface.

In either case it seems quite capable and the only read problem I've had is when I tried to read modules the Turbo doesn't have. One other one which I believe is a Porsche bug (since two Porsche dealers told me they don't do it and to fogeddaboutit) is battery "registration" when a battery is changed. It gives a communications error.  I had a shop try to register a new battery with several diagnostics tools they had (including SnapOn - $$$) - and they also got the same thing.

Best buys on it are Ebay - I ordered mine on Wednesday, DHL had it at my door on Friday, right from Hong Kong.

Just downloaded the Toyota module for wife's RX-350 - and it's even more extensive then the Porsche version.

Edited by deilenberger

• Moderators

I was just reading the reviews for the "Plus" Apple version on Amazon; pretty mixed bag with only one person out of five (including one shop pro) happy.  Seems to be kind of hit or miss.

But if your happy with yours, more power to you.  As I said, when we looked at it, it was Android only, we were not overly impressed for our needs at that price.  They may have improved it with time, but we need to go with what we know works.

My iCarScan with Porsche version 21.60 is unable to connect to the All-Wheel Drive ECU on my 2013 Cayenne Diesel.

Deilenberger: What version are you using? I got mine from Hong Kong as well, the only complaints about it so far are that I cannot read the All-Wheel Drive ECU, and that I am unable to find any tech support to address the issue with. 

Anybody else have an iCarScan that is reading All-Wheel Drive ECU data from a 2013 Cayenne Diesel?

Anybody have a tech support contact for iCarScan?

I'm using whatever version was available for download about 3 days ago.. 21.60 sounds familiar.  Can't tell without putting the dongle on the car and hooking up to it.

I think the All-Wheel-Drive on the diesel is completely different from the other Cayenne models. I seem to recall that it uses the Tourag system, not the normal Cayenne system.  If you allow the unit to do an automatic scan of the car (where it determines what modules are fitted) - does it recognize the All-Wheel-Drive module?  If you haven't it might be trying to connect using the one used in the non-diesel Cayennes.

EDIT: Found the description of the difference: http://www.autobytel.com/porsche/cayenne/2014/car-buying-guides/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-2014-porsche-cayenne-118872/ - Item #5

The 2014 Porsche Cayenne is available exclusively with all-wheel drive - there are no rear-wheel drive models available.  The all-wheel drive system offered with the Porsche Cayenne varies, however, depending on which version of the SUV is ordered.  Each of the gas-only editions of the Porsche Cayenne feature an all-wheel drive system that is designed to shuttle torque where it is needed most, which means that most engine output is sent to the rear wheels unless slippage is detected.  The Cayenne Diesel and the Cayenne S Hybrid, however, offer an all-wheel drive system that maintains a steady front/rear torque split in a design that can also automatically lock its center differential in order to improve traction.

As far as support - you could try icarscan@launch.com - I sent them a message about finding a version of the software that's compatible with my Android tablet, haven't heard back from them yet.

Edited by deilenberger

Tried that email address and here's what I get:

"Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:
     icarscan@launch.com
Technical details of permanent failure:
DNS Error: 70084012 DNS type 'mx' lookup of launch.com responded with code NOERROR
The domain launch.com doesn't receive email according to the administrator: returned Null MX https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7505"

I'm awaiting replies from two other possibilities and I did get this reply from support@launchtechusa.com:

"Please contact seller for support. 96579XXXXXXX is an overseas unit not sold or supported by LAUNCH TECH USA." 

As to the automatic system scan: I can see where it looks for the All-Wheel Drive ECU, but it never shows up as "equipped" and manually selecting it results in the can't find ECU error.
I also tried downloading the VW software and manually selected several 2013 Toureg models--I was able to connect to the transmission ECU but still not able to connect to the All-Wheel Drive ECU.

Thanks to Scott at Launch Tech USA, who provided the following email for support if you purchased an iCarScan from Hong Kong/China:

jason.hao@cnlaunch.com

For you oil-burning Cayenne owners, Jason said:

"We have not developed this function yet, once it is done, we will let you know."

Deilenberger: I would try re-sending your Android compatibility question to the above address. Let us know how it goes--for me, the jury is still out on iCarScan tech support...we'll see.