Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Can't find harvey

Apparently I am about 3 years late looking for Harvey.  I would like to upgrade my 986 sound system, and have researched the forums, and all I hear about is Harvey.  I am trying to find a way of replacing my 4x40 amp with a 6x40, and then installing the rear speaker system (found one at Pelican).  If anyone can provide some help here, would be greatly appreciated.

Ed

He's usually found at Charlie's Bar having a beverage with Elwood P. Dowd. (Jimmy Stewart, Movie: Harvey (1950) )

Seriously though, I don't know what year yours is, but on my 2004 with a CDR23 I believe that the rear speaker setup is an option that connects to the amp as-is. The dash mids/tweeters and the door woofers are the front channels, and the rear channels go to the storage box speakers.

Be sure you've read through the following thread ...

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/3389-pinout-for-6x40-m490-amp/

You don't need anything from Harvey unless you want to connect your rear speakers directly to the radio ... which you obviously aren't  since you're going to install the 6X40 amp.  That option requires a connector block.

All you need to do is get your new rear speaker wiring into the existing amp connector block correctly.  (And some tabs cut off the connector, which you can do with a single-edge razor blade ... the dremel idea is overkill.)  Despite the fact you have a 4X40 amp, the existing wiring from the radio to that amp (input)  already contains the rear channels.  The output to speakers is just missing the rear speaker wiring, and of course the 4X40 amp has no rear outputs either.

I highly recommend that the 6X40 amp you procure be for a 996 cabrio and not a 996 coupe.

Just note that 4X40 in Porsche-speak means 2 channels for the dash and 2 channels for the subwoofers.  They are all "front" as far as your fader is concerned.  When you get a 6X40 amp you'll then have outputs for rear speakers and your existing radio fader control will recognize them.

Edited by lkchris

I have used both a 6 channel amp as well as the 4 channel. A four channel works just fine. The rear speakers plug into the back of the radio. You can find a great after market rear speaker kit at Euro Motorspeed on eBay or the web. They are also the ones at Suncoast Porsche in Florida for a few bucks more.

http://suncoastparts.com/product/SPEAKERKIT.html

You can find a great after market rear speaker kit at Euro Motorspeed on eBay or the web. They are also the ones at Suncoast Porsche in Florida for a few bucks more.

http://suncoastparts.com/product/SPEAKERKIT.html

The Suncoast kit comes with wiring for either choice--plug into back of radio or plug into a 6-channel amp.

Edited by lkchris