Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

1st oddity

Put your hand on the parking brake and put any amount of pressure (down) with it disengaged and... Parking break light comes on. If you actually pull up (engage) the park brake NO LIGHT.. What is going on lol????

2nd

When you reverse the car, NO reverse lights.... I have not looked into this at all yet. I just found out the don't come on.

3rd

Was driving home and the water temp was at 180 but the light on the gauge was Blinking... I quickly stopped and turned off the car, found no problems. I turned on thecar back on, temp reading was the same and the light was not Blinking any longer. Hmmmmm...

4th

When opening the Driver car door the window does not come down its like it is stuck for a second then it comes down. Are there any things to check to fix this? 

• 2 weeks later...

1. Replace the parking brake switch or jiggle it a bit and it might free up.

2. Check bulbs and fuses. Could also be a switch

3. You are low on coolant or the coolant level sensor is balky.

4. Does it react the same way if the outside or inside handles are used?  If so, probably the window regulator. If one handle works well and the other doesn't, then it's a micro switch in that handle.

Edited by wyovino

Year of car? On #2 reverse lights...Do the outside mirrors adjust? If they do depending on year and model fuse should be good as probably on same circuit. As Wyo said there is a reverse relay I believe mounted on the transmission(manual) that feeds the reverse lights. In addition, these cars have a frail socket center contact that tends to break off. Check these when changing/checking the bulbs. Been through all this with my 2005 996 C4S.

2000 Carrera 996 manual trans

The reverse lights may be that relay. I will be checking it out next week. Thank you for the info.

The driver window does it from inside and outside. I will have to look at the regulator.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

1. Sounds like the switch is either misaligned or bad. You will need to remove the center console to repair.

2. Replace the back-up light switch.  

3. If this continues to happen then you likely have a bad coolant tank level sensor. It is on the bottom (outside) of the tank.

4. Check to see if the window sticks when opened or closed fully. If it does then you need to clean the window and seals at the base first.

If there is no sticking then you likely have a bad microswitch in the door. If that is the case then you will need to remove the inside door panel as the switch is located in the door handle release.

On 9/17/2016 at 9:04 AM, Loren said:

1. Sounds like the switch is either misaligned or bad. You will need to remove the center console to repair.

2. Replace the back-up light switch.  

3. If this continues to happen then you likely have a bad coolant tank level sensor. It is on the bottom (outside) of the tank.

4. Check to see if the window sticks when opened or closed fully. If it does then you need to clean the window and seals at the base first.

If there is no sticking then you likely have a bad microswitch in the door. If that is the case then you will need to remove the inside door panel as the switch is located in the door handle release.

First let me start by thanking everyone for their responses on these problems. Everyone's input is very helpful to me at this point. I am getting familiar with this car.

1. i need to remove the center console as you stated. I have not had time yet, but will soon.

2. I have ordered the part for this as I think this is what it is.

3. Does anyone know the part number for the coolant level sensor??? This has been still happening intermittently.

4. I have read there are several microswitches in the door. Is there a certain one to look for? I also read the cable needs to be checked that it may need to be tightened...

• 4 weeks later...

Update -

#1. I found when I removed my center console to paint it upon re-installation the wires for the parking break light were running over where the parking break lever stop. So it eventually was shorting out the wire and making the light come on when any pressure was put on the lever downward. I moved the wires and made sure they were isolated and taped. Guess what.... No more light when the lever is down. LOL... So be careful that doesn't happen to you.

#2. It was the reverse switch on the trans. Easy fix.

#3. I found it was a little low and the cap was not on correctly. Added fluid and made sure the cap is all the way on and no more problem.

#4. I have not had time to really check into this one.