Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2000 996 Carrera Key FOB Problem

Okay, so Sunday I went to the store, a couple of hours later the key FOB would not lock of unlock the car...  I read some about this today and nothing has worked. I replaced the battery and tried the below sequence i read worked on 997's. I also tried putting key in the door locking the door manually, leaving the key in the door then trying the key FOB to unlock with no results. I can put the key in the driver door and lock the doors and then unlock them with the key in the door manually with no issues. No alarm, no honk..... I am unsure what to try at this point. I only have one key, I hope I don't have to get another from a dealer. 

-Lock the doors from the outside by using the key in the door lock.
-Unlock the drivers side door using the key in the door lock.
-Within about 10 seconds or so, open the door and insert the key into the ignition. DON'T START THE CAR!!
-With the key still in the ignition, push the unlock button on the key.

• Admin

The mechanical key should work the same as the remote key fob - as far as activating and deactivating the (factory) alarm.

Have you changed the key fob battery?

Clean the buttons and look for debris on the circuit board inside when you change the battery - blow or carefully wipe out any debris.

Your key fob/key is likely 16 years old and the buttons and pcboard buttons will eventually wear out.

I have heard that some people solved this problem by inserting the battery in reverse (polarity) for a few seconds, then installing the correct way.  That being said, my circuit board went south years ago and I simply use the mechanical key.  I'm not interested in spending the cash to get a new key fob and have it programmed to the car, only to have it go kaput after another few years.

• Admin
15 minutes ago, DBJoe996 said:

I have heard that some people solved this problem by inserting the battery in reverse (polarity) for a few seconds, then installing the correct way.  That being said, my circuit board went south years ago and I simply use the mechanical key.  I'm not interested in spending the cash to get a new key fob and have it programmed to the car, only to have it go kaput after another few years.

If you take the transponder pill from the old key and put it in a new key - no programming is needed.

I took the circuit board out and tested the switch. It has continuity when the button is pushed. and none when it is not pushed. The LED does work in the Key FOB. I didnt think the internal switch was bad but I am trying to check all I can. 

I have replaced the battery. I also tried the reverse polarity battery installation. Neither of these things helped.

So is t fine to just manually use the key and the door to lock and unlock the doors? Does this also enable the alarm? It seems like it does cause the light on the dash blinks.

• Admin
45 minutes ago, jerry7297 said:

I took the circuit board out and tested the switch. It has continuity when the button is pushed. and none when it is not pushed. The LED does work in the Key FOB. I didnt think the internal switch was bad but I am trying to check all I can. 

I have replaced the battery. I also tried the reverse polarity battery installation. Neither of these things helped.

So is t fine to just manually use the key and the door to lock and unlock the doors? Does this also enable the alarm? It seems like it does cause the light on the dash blinks.

The mechanical key should work the same as the remote key fob - as far as activating and deactivating the (factory) alarm.

16 hours ago, Loren said:

If you take the transponder pill from the old key and put it in a new key - no programming is needed.

I always wondered about that.  I always thought the RFID pill was passive and is read by the RFID ring at the ignition key hole.  I thought the circuit board transmits a specific RF security code to the car to lock/unlock arm/disarm the security system that has to be programmed to the security system.  So the RFID pill is what the circuit board reads and transmits to the car?  In other words, all I have to do is get a new key fob, transfer the blade and pill (but not the circuit board), and it will work?

• Admin
15 minutes ago, DBJoe996 said:

I always wondered about that.  I always thought the RFID pill was passive and is read by the RFID ring at the ignition key hole.  I thought the circuit board transmits a specific RF security code to the car to lock/unlock arm/disarm the security system that has to be programmed to the security system.  So the RFID pill is what the circuit board reads and transmits to the car?  In other words, all I have to do is get a new key fob, transfer the blade and pill (but not the circuit board), and it will work?

Yes. Many folks buy the nicer Design key and transfer the pill and metal blade.

CGTREMOTE.jpg

Transferring the pill will only make the physical key work, remote still won't work.  if your car only has a physical key hole on the drivers side then be carefull relying on the physical key because the key barrel mechanism is a common failure item.

And yes the two button GT key head will work fine for your 99 once it is programmed.  You'll just have one button that doesn't work.  Don't let the people programming it charge you for time to troubleshoot the second button ;)

Edited by joshstix

Thank you for the reply. I am not going to drive it too much cause i dont like the idea of relying on the door lock, if that goes out it would be bad. I may look into how much to get a new key, I just know it will be a dumb price tag from a dealer.