Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Litronic headlight problem

I have an '01 Boxster with Litronic headlights...and there is a problem.

Neither headlight illuminates properly. When switched on, they will flash intermittently and, then, illuminate. Or never illuminate at all.

Any ideas?

I called a dealer parts department guy who said it was indeed strange that both lights began behaving this way at the same time. While that is true, I now can tell that one "gives up trying" to illuminate while the other one continues to flash for a while.

The parts guy suggested two parts that might be involved. One is termed an "Ignition Control Unit" and the other is a "Headlight Control Unit." Seems to me that the ignition unit might be the culprit.

Any way to test this maddening problem to narrow it down? Any recommended source for these parts?

Many, many thanks in advance for any discussion!

• Admin

The first thing I would do is remove the headlights (see your owners manual) and look to see if any of the connecting pins have pushed back into the socket and are not making a good connection. I've seen that happen before but it was usually just one light. Litronics have two connectors so check them both. Also check the sockets on the car harness for the same problem. That would be four total connectors per light.

New suspicion.

It may be something "upstream" from the ignitors/ballast (officially known as the Ignition Control Units and the Headlight Control Units). I say that because after two days of no headlights, I tried them tonight and...they worked.

They illuminated together--which makes me discount the theory of separate ignitors coincidentally going on the fritz at the same time. All I did differently was to play with the switch some; I turned on the various parking and fog lights and pulled on the highbeam flasher a couple of times. Then (with engine running), I clicked the switch to "on" and the headlights flashed on.

BTW, I looked at all the connectors as Loren suggested (thanks, Loren!) and they all appear to be in good order.

So...any thoughts as to what switch or device that's between the headlight assembly and the on/off switch that can malfunction?

• 4 weeks later...
New suspicion.

It may be something "upstream" from the ignitors/ballast (officially known as the Ignition Control Units and the Headlight Control Units).  I say that because after two days of no headlights, I tried them tonight and...they worked.

They illuminated together--which makes me discount the theory of separate ignitors coincidentally going on the fritz at the same time.  All I did differently was to play with the switch some; I turned on the various parking and fog lights and pulled on the highbeam flasher a couple of times.  Then (with engine running), I clicked the switch to "on" and the headlights flashed on.

BTW, I looked at all the connectors as Loren suggested (thanks, Loren!) and they all appear to be in good order.

So...any thoughts as to what switch or device that's between the headlight assembly and the on/off switch that can malfunction?

Hey everyone,

I got some Litronic lights (used) for my 98 boxster, but one light is going out. I'm planning on buying replacement bulbs, but im confused. My reliable friend keeps telling me that it's d2s, but a site that i looked at says it's d1s. Which is it?