Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Delayed charging

'02 996. Alternator does not start charging until ~4 seconds after the engine fired up. Warm or cold, SAI pump running or not. Makes no difference.

Once it starts charging, it stays at good level 13.5~14.1v whenever the engine is running. Drive belt is not slipping. No warning lights or CEL. No codes from Durametric.

I noticed this behavior on the voltmeter in the dash and also verified the same from the cigarette lighter.

I know that some Bosch alternators have a soft-start feature where charging will be delayed up to 14s (to reduce alternator load impact immediately after start up) but AFAIK, our stock alternators don't have such fancy feature. I wonder if the regulator was replaced with one having such feature. Other than that I can't explain it. Anyone experienced this?

• Moderators

It is entirely possible that someone retrofitted the alternator with a voltage regulator from another brand using  the soft start feature.  These regulators are common to VW, MB, Audi, and even some Ford models, so they could have sourced a regulator not knowing the feature. Several of these brands advertise this feature, as does Denso who is big in aftermarket replacements.  Realistically, it really should not bother anything.

Yeah, that's what I tend to believe now. Won't be sure unless I remove the regulator and inspect it. I don't think I have any problem like you alluded to. I'm just curious because the soft start I saw (e.g,. on BMWs) is more like 10s+ delay and not just 4s.

• Moderators

Well, with the advent of engines shutting off at every traffic light, brands like Audi, MB, and Volvo added this to their alternators in the voltage regulator section.  I really don't have a feel for how long the delay runs, but I know several of them use it.