Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Taking the instrument panel off

I am trying to hunt down noise coming from inside of passenger side instrument panel. but really hesitate to take the whole thing out.

should I do it? is it too complicated to take out the whole thing? dealer is not an option. had enough with them for these types of jobs.

I am trying to hunt down noise coming from inside of passenger side instrument panel. but really hesitate to take the whole thing out.

should I do it?  is it too complicated to take out the whole thing? dealer is not an option. had enough with them for these types of jobs.

Maybe you won't have to. WHere is the noise coming from exactly? What type of noise is it?

should I do it?  is it too complicated to take out the whole thing? dealer is not an option. had enough with them for these types of jobs.

Hello J9000,

If I am not mistaken you currently drive a Porsche 996. My guess is you have the same problem I had with my car (Porsche C4C). I also thought there was something loose in the dashboard. My Porsche dealer told me this was a problem many 996 Porsches had and that it was caused by the way the windowscreen is mounted. The window can move in its plastic setting, causing these horribly irritating noises which are impossible to locate. Porsche have developed some sort of liquid they put on the window and by means of compressed air force the liquidis forced between the plastic lining and the window.

This procedure may have to be repeated once or twice, but it will end the noise. The treatment, by the way, was for free and took less than 5 minutes.

A bottle of this liquid costs about, I guess, 50 dollars. I am thinking of buying a bottle myself so I don't have to drive to my dealer should the problem re-occur.

I hope this advice is of use to you.

jo996 (The Netherlands)

Wow.. I replaced my windshield about 6 months ago. I just can't recall when did it start, but that may be the problem.

The noise sounds like there are small parts hitting each other, like a loose screw or something. But I looked under it. Took the speaker out. Taped the A/C ducts. Open the door panels to find loose screws but nothing seems to be the problem.

Windshield is a good hint. What is the part no. of the liquid? how can I do it?

BTW, I looked at the TSBs. Still couldnt' figure out.

Wow.. I replaced my windshield about 6 months ago. I just can't recall when did it start, but that may be the problem. 

The noise sounds like there are small parts hitting each other, like a loose screw or something. But I looked under it. Took the speaker out. Taped the A/C ducts. Open the door panels to find loose screws but nothing seems to be the problem.

I had a similar problem with my windshield creaking and ratteling in the channel. TSB 6420 fixed the problem for me. It took about 30 minutes to do.

I had a similar problem with my windshield creaking and ratteling in the channel. TSB 6420 fixed the problem for me. It took about 30 minutes to do.

Hello,

What is TSB 6420 about? By the way what does the abbreviation TSB stand for, technical service bulletin perhaps?

According to another Porsche owner, the fluid Porsche dealers use, is some kind of silicon-oil. I haven't asked my Porsche dealer yet.

J9000, should you be interested in this fluid, I could contact my Porsche dealer and ask about the number.

jo996.

Well, Stevens Creek fixed it for me. You guys were right about the windshield. It costs too much to fix the TSB 6420 so these guys just lub the noise area and it works. They also fixed the squeaky lef and right windows. For 4 hours and $520 of works.

Comparing my experiences with Rector and Carlson, these guys are decent. Rector probably would take my whole IP off and charge me 2G.

Dont worry about TSB unless you still have the warranty. It gonna cost you.