Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Torque convertor seal is leaking

All good advice but not spending a dollar more than I have to. 

It took the guys about 3 days to drop and split. 

I dropped off the TC seal and crank shaft seal just last night and went back today 8pm and the engine is in and running. 

They will fill up the fluids I dropped off, atf, power steering and coolant. Also top strut mounts and wishbone top arm. 

Yes. But the bolts are difficult to get from underneath. I tried bending an end wrench and ended up making one by welding a socket to a cut off end wrench and grinding some away. The mounts drop by about 3/4 of an inch with wear.

1495149914208.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

Edited by Mr. Haney
  • Upvote 3

Thanks for the pics Mr. Haney. I'm still fighting with myself as to whether or not I want to tackle this job. 

I had a lot of vibration on my pig when I purchased it. After a good road force balancing, driveshaft/flex disk, and plugs+coils it is much smoother but still has vibration at idle and coming to a stop. 

Car finished and according to the guys everything is OK. I haven't had time to go check. It's being collected tomorrow am and going for washing, polishing inside and out and ready for pickup Wednesday if I can get time to get there. 

It will be straight online for sale, I just wish I could fix the tail light warning crap! 

Also rear camera stuck still will have to pull that open and free it up some. And take the injectors out friday and do the professional cleaning on Saturday. Then it's bye bye

On 2017-5-23 at 11:35 PM, ma77hewsu11ivan said:

Lewis regarding the taillight, did you remove EVERY connection under the spoiler, clean with abrasive and reseat/reconnect including the earths? That finally did the trick for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was a bit of a rush job, can you give me some more details of how many connectors you found and cleaned. 

I removed two metal dog leg shaped flat plates and the screws and the earth cable connected to each.

Appreciated. Thank 

Got car back from having the body work and Polish done, it looks quite sweet. 

Unfortunately as soon as I drive it for a minute I notice the disturbing vibration, in the drive train it feels like. Before the work it was silkly smooth and the centre bearing and flex disc was in good condition I checked. 

A constant vibration through the whole car increasing with road speed NOT with engine speed, I also heard a clunk when I deaccelerated down a slope and around a bend, just as I went back on the accelerator and the bend straighten out I heard the clunk. 

I'm guessing cardan shaft or front Propshaft but not sure how that could be installed wrong when it was perfectly find before? Maybe they didn't tighten the centre bearing bush cradle properly? 

Transmission shifting good and no leaks so far. 

Engine starts and runs fine and sounds OK. Hesitation is unchanged by torque convertor seal replacement in case anybody was wondering if this was linked.

Sent message to the garage and will take it back in tomorrow afternoon to have a look. 

If anyone has any ideas what this could be please do reply. Might save us some trouble shooting time. 

Thanks 

Such stupid mistakes from repair shops make me really angry. Same with me. My manyfold was 3 times off in the last 2 years. Starter. Breather Hose. 3. event i dont even remember.  They dont think ahead. While already there i expect checking of items down. The breather hose for shure looks not good when they open first time for the starter. Nothing. 6 month later i went in for the hoses. They could do everything in one time

Edited by ekstroemtj
  • Upvote 1

Got the (Meyle made in Gernany) flex disc, it's not a genuine part as Porsche kindly made the cardan shaft and flex disc 1 complete part required to buy. Cheeky buggers. 

Anyhow this is the same part for BMW, Touareg and Audi Q7 carrying part number 7LO 521 403 which is same as Porsche part number 95543101000. 

Will fit it Friday morning. 

AC smells musty and is crap so, New AC filter will help a bit as I may be suffering the beast for a while before getting a buyer.

Hope I don't fall in love with the ex.

.........Snigger Snigger. 

IMG_20170531_1043528.jpg

IMG_20170531_1036288.jpg

New flex disc installed this morning, wasn't the easiest job in the underground car park. Having to Jack up and lower and rock the car a bit forward or back to be able to get to the hard to reach bolts was a chore and it 40degrees here and 90% humidity.  

Also to note I haven't seen it mentioned in other diy that you do have to unbolt the centre bearing support and pull the shaft away from the transmission output in order to separate the inner spigot shaft which just sits 10mm or so inside the Propshaft. Once I did that the flex disc can just be squeezed out in the small gap. 

Here is the picture my son took for me, old one has three distinctive tears in the rubber which is weird they all look the same and only damage is on the transmission side?

Haven't test drove yet as had to rush off to a birthday party. But I'm seriously not convinced this is the sole cause of all that vibration and noise. I hope I'm wrong. 

Also had a good look underneath and would you believe it, it looks like engine oil is leaking from the bell housing now. Unbelievable! If they managed to cock up the installation of a new crank shaft end seal and then put it back together and tested apparently and give back to me as "all good" I'm gonna be seriously pissed.  I haven't paid them yet so later will be going for a full pressure wash underneath to see if fresh oil drips afterwards. I hope not, I'm at the end of my rope. Screenshot_20170602-133009.thumb.png.bd3a539233f3e9697c00bca5dc5bedd0.png

Can't tell about the oil leak, but the noise is gone after changing the flex disc. 

The list of things they have cocked up is growing, after short test drive ......

1. AC Gas is low, the evaporator under the passenger side dash is making a hell of a noise like a coffee percolator, I just replaced the AC filter today also and the smell is gone. Old filter was heavy with sand and dust. Because these garages don't know the four zone is 1050grams I bet they just put in around 750 which is for the two zone AC setup. 

2. Front suspension is crashing and knocking on the left side which has new upper arm and new strut bush they fitted, so they obviously haven't tighten something up properly or something broke during the strip down or assembly process. 

3. The right front indicator is intermittently working, loose connection for sure 

4. Already mentioned the suspected engine type oil leak at bell housing and the transmission pan is wet! 

The fuel light was stuck on and the range stuck at 30km. I did a scan but no fault code. So I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and it cleared that fault. 

Whilst disconnecting the earth cable I noted it was warm! This I remember others have had faults related to the cable having high resistance over time. Maybe this causing other electrical gremlins like the check tail light and four wheel drive faulty? Will look into getting this cable changed. 

Monday the car goes back to the garage and the American guy Jonny said he will fix everything. Fingers crossed. 

Update, drove the car to the garage about 30km and up around speeds of 80km/h or higher the whole car is rumbling and shaking. Feels terrible, slow speeds is OK. It is road speed related not engine speed. 

I dropped the car off with a big list for them to sort out. I hope they pull a decent job out of there bag of hash ups. 

Also air suspension won't calibrate and the ride quality on the drive was terrible also, crashing and drove like a go kart with no suspension travel at all.

Give me strength not to murder someone ......

You haven’t paid them, and they have to fix the suspension and rear main seal leak if that is part of what they were contracted to do. If they really screwed up the vehicle that much maybe give them the option of buying it from you. They might go for it if the repair costs out weigh what they could patch it up and flip it for. Would end the nightmare for you anyways. Now I really don’t want to bring mine in for the seal...

On 4.6.2017 at 5:10 AM, lewisweller said:

Update, drove the car to the garage about 30km and up around speeds of 80km/h or higher the whole car is rumbling and shaking. Feels terrible, slow speeds is OK. It is road speed related not engine speed. 

I dropped the car off with a big list for them to sort out. I hope they pull a decent job out of there bag of hash ups. 

Also air suspension won't calibrate and the ride quality on the drive was terrible also, crashing and drove like a go kart with no suspension travel at all.

Give me strength not to murder someone ......

So you killed already somebody or everything is going go be fine?

46 minutes ago, ekstroemtj said:

So you killed already somebody or everything is going go be fine?

No news since dropping off, so I'm guessing they are knee deep in sh*t and trying to fix all the cock ups. I will drop in there on Saturday and surprise them, maybe the car will be in pieces again with engine on the floor. 

I almost wish they would torch it and I can claim the insurance. 

2 hours ago, ekstroemtj said:

@Lewis did you visit your friends in the shop? Car in parts? 

Didn't have time today, but sent a message to the guy, he said the front right suspension strut is leaking. I said that wasnt the cause of the many other issues but no reply. 

Will drop in there tomorrow after picking up the boy from school. 

Update, the guy messaged me this morning to ask me to come tonight. 

I asked what is the problem. He said no leaks and no vibration at all, he said the noise is from the rear tires/wheel bearing! 

I'm thinking how? If they found nothing then they Fix nothing and for sure the rear is not the issue. I'm starting to lose my patients, I've asked to keep the car on the lift so I can do some visual checks myself then we will go for test drive and I'll see if this vibration is gone or not. 

He doesnt mention the other items, like the AC Gas underfilled, the indicator light loose connection and missing locking Wheel nut socket tool! I'm off to uk next week and can't be doing with this crap still ongoing. What a nightmare.