Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help with speedo cluster

I am trying to replace the time adjust selector on my 996's speedo.  Referencing the pic below, I removed the two screws (red lines), clips on the mounting ears (green lines), and released the lower clasps (blue lines).  The front piece peels away at the bottom and the sides, but seems to be stuck at the top section.  What is holding it on there?  Are the yellow circles clips?  I'm reluctant to put too much leverage on the plastic piece

Removing the speedo bezel.jpg

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/102-ELEC-Instrument_Cluster_Bulb_Replacement/102-ELEC-Instrument_Cluster_Bulb_Replacement.htm

Figure 20 maybe...nope...appears different than yours.  However, there is probably another clip on top that needs to be released.  It could be the  two yellow circle items and a small flat blade screwdriver to gently pry on those.  Just guessing....

Edited by DBJoe996

There is a clip inside that you can't see at the top center. Gently pry and slide a credit card into the crack to separate it.

e0e6f466f5ea7f79293eb7c061216ae7.jpg

Zoom on this pic and you can see it at the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The tab Ddavidoff shows is on the front bezel.  I am trying to split it at the yellow arrow below.  I did give it a shot with the credit card on the front bezel.  It didn't come off, but I haven't given up on that one.

Bezel tab.jpg

I am about to replace my clock stem as well so watching this with interest.

What device or technique did you use to remove the speaker on the left side of the dash?  Mine is really snug and I am concerned about forcing something in to lift it up as I am sure it will scratch the finish.

The tab Ddavidoff shows is on the front bezel.  I am trying to split it at the yellow arrow below.  I did give it a shot with the credit card on the front bezel.  It didn't come off, but I haven't given up on that one.

58ed34a68319f_Bezeltab.jpg.7b7c03a4a4cad368600557f1f0f34e08.jpg

Sent PM with some advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have had to open mine a half-dozen times this month--chasing down and replacing the LCD screens. That top clip is a hidden one, tricky. Also, there are some clips that hold the giant plugs to the back that need to be released to pull off the circuit board if needed.

The first time I took a risk and used some force and it just popped loose, but mine is from a 2000 C2 so slightly different. The next couple times I used a guitar pick, and finesse, to slide around and force it apart. I am not sure being careful is helping me since it just gets easier to open every time. I have one last LCD to replace--we'll see how it goes.