Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Traded 986 for 987.2... DIY same??

I recently traded my 2001 Boxster S w/ 80K miles for a 2009 Boxster S w/ 18K miles. I owned the 986 for 8 years and did all the maintenance/repair work myself. Did not take it to the shop once or have to buy any special tools... Okay, once to turn off the air-bag light when doing my first window regulator :).... Have done most every common DIY project on the 986 with the exception of the clutch/IMS/RMS job. That was going to be my next project before I found the 987.2. I do not anticipate doing any heavy wrenching on my 987.2 anytime soon, but I have noticed there does not seem to be near as many DIY articles for the 987 vs. the 986. I have to assume that is because the procedures are very similar to the 986? I do not consider myself a full on gear head and I do rely heavily on online DIY articles to help me get the job done right. I'm looking for some feedback from the Boxster community on which common DIY projects are different from the 986. Will I now need a SW (Durametric) tool or other special tools? Are there project that were DIY on the 986 but are not for the 987.2? Just trying to get my head around what I will and wont be able to do on my new Boxster... Thank you...

• Moderators

The Durametric system would be a good acquisition.

The 986 and 987 similar in many ways, but the 987 will have some later variations, like greater use of CAN Bus technology, DFI, the 9A1 engine instead of the M96, and later electronics.  The reason for a lack of information is that Porsche stopped publishing service manuals around 2004-2005, so there is not a lot in print.

Good luck with your new car.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Keep an eye on eBay. Occasionally someone is selling full service manuals for the 987.2.

I don’t see it on there now but sometime last year it was available.Their corporate attorneys are

probably constantly looking out for these and taking it down with legal threats.

Which is ironic given that this corporation has proven to behave criminally in major ways.

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, DerekB said:

Keep an eye on eBay. Occasionally someone is selling full service manuals for the 987.2.

I don’t see it on there now but sometime last year it was available.Their corporate attorneys are

probably constantly looking out for these and taking it down with legal threats.

Which is ironic given that this corporation has proven to behave criminally in major ways.

Which is interesting as Porsche never printed them in the first place...………….

• Admin

Porsche stopped printing Sevice Manuals in 2006. All service needs after that were supplied in their PIWIS diagnostic systems - $18,000/year to lease.

Could someone have printed pages from the PIWIS tester?  Yes, but when you sign the lease for the tester you also agree to not copy or disseminate the copyrighted information.

The ebayer had the whole 6000+ pages put on a DVD in  pdf format, fully searchable.

it was steal at $15. Probably they got it from a disgruntled Porsche factory employee, pretty 

easy to imagine that. Anyways, they don’t have it for sale now.