Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have a recent purchase of a 04 Cayenne S. with 81k That needs some TLC that I'm giving it. When I got the car it started right up and ran pretty well. Installed a new battery and went on a few test hops etc and took care of some other issues. Today I went to start it and it just cranked and cranked then started for about 5 seconds and cut off. I've tried it numerous times while pulling fuses etc with the same result. Does this sound like a fuel pump / filter/ regulator issue? I have no idea of the past maint, on the truck. Any ideas?  Thanks!

59 minutes ago, ricurt said:

I have a recent purchase of a 04 Cayenne S. with 81k That needs some TLC that I'm giving it. When I got the car it started right up and ran pretty well. Installed a new battery and went on a few test hops etc and took care of some other issues. Today I went to start it and it just cranked and cranked then started for about 5 seconds and cut off. I've tried it numerous times while pulling fuses etc with the same result. Does this sound like a fuel pump / filter/ regulator issue? I have no idea of the past maint, on the truck. Any ideas?  Thanks!

Sounds fuel related, but learn from my mistakes and others, get it tested before buying parts. 

• Upvote 1

Sounds like the high pressure fuel pump. I have had mine replaced twice on my 2008 Cayenne S. Was there any hesitation or other indication of it failing? The other alternative is that your remote is not working and the immobilizer has activated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Chris Gimpel said:

Sounds like the high pressure fuel pump. I have had mine replaced twice on my 2008 Cayenne S. Was there any hesitation or other indication of it failing? The other alternative is that your remote is not working and the immobilizer has activated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The high pressure fuel pump came in on the 2007/8 model cayenne v8 so the OP Ricurt will be looking at the delivery from the two pumps inside his tank and the filter and regulator function. 

If you pull out fuse 14 cycle the key off on, will it run? Then try with fuse 13 removed cycle key off on will it run? 

Any codes?  

Edited by lewisweller
  • Upvote 1

Like Lewis said it can be any number of factors, there are 5 to start with, 2 in-tank fuel pumps, fuel regulator and filter (in tank as well) or the high pressure fuel pump. First thing is the 2 pumps in the tank. Have them tested to make sure fuel is getting to the HP pump at the pressure and flow required.

2 hours ago, 09CayennePepper said:

Like Lewis said it can be any number of factors, there are 5 to start with, 2 in-tank fuel pumps, fuel regulator and filter (in tank as well) or the high pressure fuel pump. First thing is the 2 pumps in the tank. Have them tested to make sure fuel is getting to the HP pump at the pressure and flow required.

Won't be the hpfp lol he's got an 04.

Pulling the # 14 then the #13 fuses results in the same outcome...cranking and a couple second start then stop. Any recommendations on a decent fuel pressure tester that has the correct adapters? The one at Harbor freight has some bad reviews and the local parts stores have testers for domestic fuel systems.Might be the regulator or a clogged filter (have no idea how long the fuel has been in the tank) this came about suddenly.??

29 minutes ago, ricurt said:

Pulling the # 14 then the #13 fuses results in the same outcome...cranking and a couple second start then stop. Any recommendations on a decent fuel pressure tester that has the correct adapters? The one at Harbor freight has some bad reviews and the local parts stores have testers for domestic fuel systems.Might be the regulator or a clogged filter (have no idea how long the fuel has been in the tank) this came about suddenly.??

Erm I spent ages trying to get a decent testing kit and never actually got one or the right parts to make one. Larger than standard Schrader valve is the pita. 

Both pumps same result leaves a common fault which could be regulator of filter blockage. 

Could it be bad fuel? 

Go get it test somewhere don't buy parts on a whim. I wasted a lot of money like this chasing lean bad running. Turns out it is blocked injectors and nothing to do with pumps regulator or filter. I justify the cost against reliability and periodic servicing. Who am I kidding could have save the money for all the other break downs of this wonderful motor. 

• 3 months later...

I am having trouble with my 2005 Cayenne.  it starts fine but every time you open the fuel tank to fill it up when you put the cap back on will not start good at all. Also if you take the gas cap off while the car is running it kill the car immediately. thinking fuel pump but need advise.

Replace the EVAP purge valve located on the drivers side of the engine (left), it has a long plastic tube that runs along the valve cover and connects at the throttle body. It often causes an intermittent vacuum leak and draws in hydrocarbons from the charcoal canister tank. The part has been updated and only takes a few minutes to change out.

3 hours ago, MarkPlu said:

I am having trouble with my 2005 Cayenne.  it starts fine but every time you open the fuel tank to fill it up when you put the cap back on will not start good at all. Also if you take the gas cap off while the car is running it kill the car immediately. thinking fuel pump but need advise.

Easy test is to clamp the pipe from the evap purge valve that goes to the intake via a T fitting underneath the intake Y pipe. That will instantly identify the evap purge is faulty. The code should be p0441 I think if you scan the car.