Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

986 Trunk and Hood release not working - charged batterty

I have a 1997 Boxster with 30,000 miles. The battery is charged and the car starts and runs fine. However, I cannot open the hood or trunk with the levers next to the drivers seat when the door is open! When I press the interlock switch on the dash nothing happens. The light stays on. Any ideas??

I have a 1997 Boxster with 30,000 miles. The battery is charged and the car starts and runs fine. However, I cannot open the hood or trunk with the levers next to the drivers seat when the door is open! When I press the interlock switch on the dash nothing happens. The light stays on. Any ideas??

This is not an uncommon problem. I had to replace solenoid on both front and back trunks within a month of each other on my '03 Boxster S.
Not a difficult task, once you find the "secret" unlock cables.
If, with either trunk open, you cannot hear an audible click and a corresponding movement of the mechanism, then the mechanism needs to be replaced.
The front trunk mechanism moved occasionally, but I sufficiently for opening.
The rear simply stopped working abruptly.
I live in Portland, Oregon, so I just go to Sunset.

When removing the old one on the front, you will need to peel off some foam stuff (don't tear it too badly, you will want to use it on the new piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a reminder my 1997 Boxster does not have solenoid operated release. The levers operate cable pulls. Try and find emergency release cables front one should be under neath right fender liner. I forget where rear one is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

I had the same problem with my 1999 Boxster. Here's what worked for me:

Since it is an '00 or older, the release levers for the trunks are manual and there is a 'lock out' plate to prevent them from being release when the car is locked or the driver's door is closed. However, you can use a small flat headed screwdriver to slide between the two levers on the driver's door sill to manually unlock them. Here's how:

With a flashlight and skinny 3-4" long flat screwdriver (like one of those electrician promo ones handed out at trade shows...) slide it down between the front and rear levers. Under the front trunk lever, you'll see a U shaped cut out that will have a white plate under it. The white plate, when the vehicle is locked or doors are closed, slides over the U shaped cutout to prevent the levers from being raised. Using the screwdriver, slide the white plate from the outside of the car towards the center. Once it's clear, just pull up on the lever to release either trunk.

To that note, have you started the car yet to reinitialize your key w/ the car and the immobilizer? This may solve your problem as well (a dead battery will put the car into 'sleep mode' and since it was locked... the trunks remain as such). Otherwise, you'll likely have to remove the sill plate cover w/ the levers to see what's going on, or not, underneath for a permanent fix.

• 1 month later...

Had a similar problem only to find out after I got into the front with the cable and the rear via the vent that if you sit in the car with all the doors closed and press the dash lock button to lock the doors and then unlock it worked to unlock the trunks as opposed to locking and un-locking using the key in the driver's door. Of course, try turning the key twice to lock the driver's door and see if the car honks once. 

• 9 months later...

I have a similar problem where I over packed the front compartment & now the hood latch won't open it. I have tried the manual release cable but it just won't move.

& yes I have tried pulling the lever whilst someone id pushing down on the hood to take the pressure off.