Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Metal particles on oil filter. Please help.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum.  Please help.

I just did oil change on my 2001 boxster, and found some metal particles on the filter.

My car had LN engineering IMS bearing updated not long ago.

Is this normal wear or IMS bearing failure ?

Thank you

pt2017_10_16_20_55_26.jpg

I am not 100% sure. I used a magnetic pickup tool to pick it up, since the oil is so sticky, it always stick to the magnet. But I feel like it is because of the oil, because it has to touch it to pick it up. I will try it again.

Thank you.

Edited by dustzen

And why was the IMS done? Problems or just proactive?  Was a qualification done (inspected the filter and pan) before the replacement?  How long have you had the car? IMS done on your watch? What kind of oil filter?

Sadly, there are people who throw a LN in a car that had a failure and sell it on quickly before scattered debris from the earlier failure can show up.

Start using an L&N Billet Magnetic drain plug. Be careful, the torque spec is only 19 ft.lbs.

Also, on your next oil change, start doing Used Oil Analysis with places like Blackstone Labs. Go on Blackstone's web site and order the free test kits. I buy the actual tests in bulk of 6 and save a little money.

How often do you change the oil? I'd suggest every 5,000 miles, and at least yearly (on a low mileage car).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
30 minutes ago, dustzen said:

If the metals are ferrous metal, is it 100% ims bearing failure or it has a chance of not so major problem and normal wear ?

Thank you.

If there is a large amount of ferrous metal, it really does not matter where it came from, the engine has to come apart.