Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

• Moderators

AGM batteries offer many pluses over a conventional flooded cell:  Way better shock/vibration resistance, much longer lived (sometimes 2-3X a flooded cell, I recently replaced a 12 year old AGM because it failed a load test but never failed to start the car), and they are sealed, which means no corrosion on the battery tray and surrounding areas which is a critical issue with these cars.

AGM it is. We also have an Eastern Penn warehouse nearby. They make the Duracell battery so I gave them a call. They have cosmetic blems of that batt for $70 and they’ll install it for me. Ive used them for several motorcycle batteries and one for my last truck with great success. On to do list for tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, carman3 said:

If I also convert to an AGM battery will my existing Trickle Charger work? I thought I read in the past that charging this type of battery is different. Am I correct?

Most maintainers (never use a trickle charger on any type of battery, they are battery killers, pure and simple) are capable of handling AGM batteries, some even have specific charge profiles to take maximum advantage of the AGM technology; but at the end of the day, an AGM is a lead acid battery, just in a different physical form.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, carman3 said:

Thanks for the feedback. 

I learned something new.  After a little research I learned that there is a difference between a Float and Trickle Charger. I have a Ctek model charger which is classified as a Float charger. 

All Ctek models include a desulfating step in their charge cycles which many other maintainers (like Deltran) do not, which significantly adds to the life of all battery types.  Most Ctek models also have a special AGM cycle as well.