Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

OBC hack on my '99 996

I am trying to do the OBC hack on my '99 996 using yoseif's DIY, but got stumped by the removal of the hazard "ring" to gain access to the torx screw to remove the instrument cluster. Can you guys let me in on the secret? That thing is hard to remove...

Thanks in advance

David

• Moderators

That DIYer was written by Peter Smith. Peter gave me the instructions and I gave a copy to Yoseif more than 2 years ago. Some of the info is now old.

The oval trim piece is held in place by 2 metal clips. It is hard to get out because it is a tight fit. Try prying it off from inside the oval. Pictures from Sandy. Jeff

sandy_996_cluster_001.jpg

Thanks Jeff. Yes, it's a tight fit, I ended up breaking the switch trying to pry it out without taking out the oval trim piece, so now the hazard button stays depressed...

So am I to try and remove the oval trim piece before or after removing the switch? How do you unclamp the two metal clips you were talking about? Should I try using a small screwdriver from the outside?

You said that some of the info in the DIY is old. Is the connection info still valid?

Thanks a lot Jeff.

David

• Moderators

The part number for the 4 stalk switch assembly with gloss buttons has been discontinued. Now you can only buy the one with the matt finish 996 613 919 EWC. This is ok as you put your shiny finish buttons on the new switch, but you will not have a gloss button for the trip computer. But you can buy just the gloss finish trip computer button 996 613 503 01 A01. The splicing of the 9 and 10 wires is correct for a 1999. For a 2002 up you do not splice wires, just use five of the 9 wires.

The oval trim piece has to come out before you can remove the switch. In Sandy's first picture you can see the 2 metal clips. The one on the left looks yellow in the picture. The other (black) clip is right next to the torx screw. In the second picture of the oval you can see one of the plastic prongs that go into the (yellow) clips. The oval is a push fit into the clips. The oval is usually a tight fit due to the thickness of the leather. I have a plastic wedge tool for removing trim. It will take some effort to get it out, and be careful not to scratch anything.

We made a DVD of 4 trip computer retrofits on Boxsters. A Boxster does not have the oval trim. Jeff

DVD_single_trip_computer.jpg

Thanks Jeff.

I am actually doing the OBC hack with a switch, not the stalk. The stalk installation sounded too difficult. I am probably right, given that I haven't been able to remove the oval trim yet ;)

So I will try again using your advice. Also, I noticed this morning that my one-touch window up/down doesn't work anymore, and I remember reading something about having to reset that sometimes if the battery has been disconnected. Can you remember how this is done.

Thanks again, and sorry to keep bothering you.

David