Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rear Spoiler doesn’t Work -‘97 Boxster

Spoiler doesn’t extend at speed, nor does it work with the switch. The spoiler light comes on in the dash at speed. Swapped in another spoiler mechanism, thinking it might be a bad mechanism, and no luck there. All fuses and relays have been replaced. 

HOWEVER, with the manual switch (by fuse box) unplugged, and I connect the rear wiring harness to the spoiler unit, I can hear the relay clock, and it will raise the spoiler about 1/2” and stop. If I unplug and plug back in, it will go up another 1/2”. I kept doing this (duh!!!)

Now I have a fully extended spoiler, with no way to retract. I have the wiring diagram from Bentley manual. 

Any troublemshooting advice?  What wires should I apply 12v power to, to retract?  Any and all advice is helpful. 

Also, I tried to make heads or tails of the wiring diagram. I’m more mechanical oriented than automotive electronics. I just got a headache!!

Hi Loren, thanks for responding. I figured out how to apply current to the motor leads to retract and extend, by swapping power/ground on the Yellow/Green and Blue/Green wires. Motor works fine. 

Also tested the relays and the switch by the fuse panel, all good. I can trace power from the fuse on D7 to the relays and to the spoiler motor. 

I see the switch is wired through the instrument cluster.

is the switch and instrument panel switching the ground?  

I think it might be a bad insturment cluster. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, TNT79Bronco said:

Hi Loren, thanks for responding. I figured out how to apply current to the motor leads to retract and extend, by swapping power/ground on the Yellow/Green and Blue/Green wires. Motor works fine. 

Also tested the relays and the switch by the fuse panel, all good. I can trace power from the fuse on D7 to the relays and to the spoiler motor. 

I see the switch is wired through the instrument cluster.

is the switch and instrument panel switching the ground?  

I think it might be a bad insturment cluster. 

You really don't want it to be a bad cluster...  PST2 or PIWIS should be able to test the cluster.

Double check the wiring for corrosion or other damage.

I agree about the cluster, although I have an extra one I can put in there.  That is why I was trying to figure out whether the switch by the fuses is switching the ground or the power.  From what the schematic looks like, it must be switching the ground.  If that is the case, then the instrument cluster must be sending out voltage to activate the control side of the relays.

I have pretty much everything figured out from there.  

Anybody's input would help.