Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Question re: oil temperature

I have a question about oil temperatures. My car seems to run a bit warm (225 during slow, normal driving).  what controls the oil temperature? Is it possible that the aftermarket gt3-style spoiler on my car is restricting air flow to the engine compartment?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you! I did check the radiators and they are clear.  I'm wondering if the sending unit might be off. 

On a related note when I pull into the garage with the oil warm the car smells slightly sulphur like. Might I have a clogged cat? The car has 53k miles on the chassis (unknown miles on the engine as it is a replacement motor installed by a prior owner).

• 2 weeks later...

225 is not out of spec for a 997 oil temp so nothing likely is wrong with oil temp gauge. Coolant is cooled  by front radiators. Same coolant is used to reduce oil temp through a heat exchanger located on the top of the engine. Not the ideal method of cooling oil but it's plays a roll in keeping engine up to optimal temp for emission control.  Adding the 3rd radiator can assist in keeping temp down a bit. My cars oil runs at around 215 but can hit 225 on hot days in normal or slow traffic. 3rd  radiator greatly improve oil temp recovery time  back to my normal 215.  Prior to installing,  temp would be slow to come down, if at all,  once it reached that 225 temp. 

Edited by dphatch