Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I've always liked the Boxster, but cabs are not an option in my country because the soft top would be cut and my head unit and other electronics robbed in less than a week. I have waited patiently for many years for a Boxster coupe and for a moment there I thought the wait was over.

When I saw the Cayman I was overcome with joy because to me it looked like a Boxster coupe and I was very pleased with the overall look of the car. However, I was shocked to learned that it was more expensive than even a Boxster S, which I think is odd since cabs are always more expensive than coupes. I know many people will argue that the Cayman is not a Boxster coupe because it is more powerful and have some additional features compared to the Boxster, but its still hard for me not to consider it just a Boxster coupe.

On the other hand, I have looked many times at the 911 (used because new is beyond my budget) but it has never appeal aesthetically to me as much as the Boxster does. The back of the 911 is, in my opinion, not consistent with the lines of the rest of the car and detracts from its beauty. The Boxster on the other hand is a beautiful car no matter how you look at it. Of course, this is my personal opinion and I have to admit I have never owned a Porsche.

Once my Cayman dreams were crushed by the sticker price, I returned my attention to the Boxster once again and started contemplating the idea of buying a 2005 Boxster and have a hard top factory installed, with the intention of never removing it (well, never is a strong word, but I am sure the hard top would be on 95% of the time)

The problem with this idea became apparent when I started reading many posts in this forum regarding hart top stories that included shaking tops, annoying noises and poorly design locking systems. In general, I had the felling that the hard top does not become one with the Boxster, and so you are always aware that it is a removable part. I always thought that the hard top would be firmly attached to the car and give the driver the sensation of being inside a coupe and not inside a cab with a hard top.

I would really appreciate the opinion of those with experience in hard tops and the Boxster , so they can confirm my fears or dismiss them.

Also, I would like to know if having the hard top factory installed may be a factor that would reduced the above mention problems; or if in fact I can do as good a job installing the hard top as the guys in the factory.

TIA for your help, regards;

Moses.

Where in the name of God are you located that you can't have a conv??? It is faster and easier to break the glass since the top of the P-Car has steel reinforcements. It's not like your typical ragtop in lesser cars that is just fabric over 2 or 3 1" pipes.

But to answer your question, I have a 996CAB and love it with the hard top on it. Feels like a coupe (but 75# more). I just couldn't imagine not getting to drive topless :)

I have a 98 Boxster with a factory hardtop, SMK. A hardtop on the Boxster has, in my opinion, some pros outweighed by many cons. For example, the sound deadening is a significant difference. There is far less maintenance- soft top is higher maintenance. However, on a Boxster, much of the fun of the car comes when its top is down. Driving top up/down is like driving two different cars, especially when the hardtop is attached vs. just softop being closed. My hardtop is also well attached. For example, the only squeaks from my car occur with the hardtop on or off. Nevertheless, I will say this. The Boxster really as not as fun as a coupe as it is a convertible and that is the major difference. If you really want a closed roof sports car, I would look elsewhere. Good luck SMK.

James

LVDell:

I live in Caracas, Venezuela and unfortunately is a little bit unsafe here. But your logic is better than mine; now that you mention it, it is indeed easier to brake the window than to go trough the soft top. So maybe, I will give the soft top a chance.

James:

Could you please be more specific as to why the soft top is so high maintenance?

Looking someplace else for a sport car is out of the question. I consider Porsche to be the only sport car brand that deserves the investment necessary to purchase their products. I can see myself driving my Boxster 20 years from now and still enjoying the ride and the looks.

Thank you both for your reply.

If I were you, I'd get a 987 w a hardtop. When parked on public street or lots, put the hardtop on for extra safety. When parked in your own garage, leave the softop up and store the hardtop.

With the hardtop, you will get a little rattle and noises and it's not as integrated in the back as a soft top. Softtop needs to be taken good care of (spray protectant from sun and water damage), cleaned with special shampoo and lint roller. It's not as durable so it's better not to leave the soft top in hot summer sun or freezing rain/snow.

If you don't see any convertible by where you live, that's a good indication that you probly don't want one for either weather or vandalism reasons.

The alternative is to use a car cover if you don't have an enclosed garage. Thieves probly won't mess with your car if they don't know it's a convertible and you have a cover on.

Once my Cayman dreams were crushed by the sticker price, I returned my attention to the Boxster once again and started contemplating the idea of buying a 2005 Boxster and have a hard top factory installed, with the intention of never removing it (well, never is a strong word, but I am sure the hard top would be on 95% of the time)

Keep in mind that Porsche is releasing the Cayman S. July 2005 Car & Driver is eluding to a non S version of the Cayman, sighting that it is unusual that A) An "S" model would be released without a base model, and B) the hardtop coupe is priced higher than the cabrio.

Perhaps you can expect to see a Cayman base in the near future with a price point more in line with what you were expecting.

Edited by mbodo

Keep in mind that Porsche is releasing the Cayman S. July 2005 Car & Driver is eluding to a non S version of the Cayman, sighting that it is unusual that A) An "S" model would be released without a base model, and B) the hardtop coupe is priced higher than the cabrio.

Perhaps you can expect to see a Cayman base in the near future with a price point more in line with what you were expecting.

mbodo;

Thanks for taking the time to post this information. It seems like good news to me....

• 1 month later...

Even though it's easier to just break a window, you're talking about common thieves who are not the brightest people in the world. I hate to rain on your parade, but they will probably see a soft top and "think" it's easy to get into, cut it to shreds trying to get in, then break the window because they were too dense to think of it in the first place.

For example, with my former Jeep, a total idiot spent 20 minutes tearing the crap out of my console trying to get the cheap stereo out. At least he was smart enough to try the door first, because the dealer told me to never lock the doors because it would cost me more to replace the cut out windows than it would for a stereo. Anyway, he beat the heck out of it trying to pry the thing out when all he had to do was pop two screws out and the entire thing just pulls off. Two minutes is all it should have taken. And this is what he does for a living? Instead, he's on camera for 20 minutes in the grocery store parking lot (they still couldn't find him even with the tape), he probably got $40 for the stereo at a pawn shop and I had to pay $350+ for a new console and stereo. :soapbox:

If I were there, I would get the hard top and only take it off when I go for a fun drive around town without any stops. A window is a whole lot less to replace than a top. ;)

Sorry but I doubt the base Cayman will be cheaper than the base Boxster. Porsche will surely have a specific engine, maybe a 3 litre, to justify the added cost. I'd love to know how much the sheer fact of having specific engines for the Caymans actually adds to the price by reducing rationalisation and duplicating engines. Porsche is very much about marketing nowadays (not a judgement of value by the way).

I have a 97 w/factory hardtop and after almost 8 years I can certify that the hardtop is the most necessary option you could possibly get on the Boxster. The car looks better with the hardtop on as the designers stressed wihen the glass window soft top was introduced. The top protects the interior of the car in extreme conditions whether they be weather related on neighborhood related. The noise muffling is a slight drawback, but worth the trade off in most cases. Proper fit and cushioning is critical and easily achieved.

In short, having the hardtop is almost like having two different cars.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Zok